Mac OS forum

General discussion

eMail in Snow Leopard

My new iMac will be arriving soon and I have a mail question. I am discontinuing my .Mac account and would like to use my Verizon account as my mailing address. If I set up the Leopard mail account for Verizon, what will prevent mail from going directly to the Verizon page? I just can't forward the same address. (#_#)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: eMail in Snow Leopard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: eMail in Snow Leopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nothing will stop mail from going directly

In reply to: eMail in Snow Leopard

to the Verizon page, that's where it always goes, at least to the Verizon Mail Server.

Your incoming mail arrives at the Verizon mail servers and waits for you to access it.
There are a couple of ways to do this.
1. You use your web browser, Safari/Firefox/Chrome/etc., and go to the Verizon web site. Once there, you supply your username and password and gain access to the Verizon mail server.
Your email address in this case is **********@verizon.com (or something similar)
2. You use an email client, MAIL, Thunderbird, Entourage, etc., and supply it with the necessary credentials, username, password, server address, etc..
When launched, the email client goes directly to the Verizon mail server, authenticates itself and then downloads any waiting email and displays it for you.
Your email address in this case is **********@verizon.com (or something similar)

You will not be setting up a "Leopard mail account", you will be setting up an email client to read your Verizon mail

P
P

Collapse -
eMail in Snow Leopard

In reply to: Nothing will stop mail from going directly

I do read my Verizon mail at Verizon, plus webmail at FatCow. I have a Gmail account which I don't use. However, I like the Mac Mail program the best. Will the instructions you wrote enable me to use the Mac program (I am a little confused?) (*_*)

Collapse -
The Mac Mail program

is just that.
A program for sending/receiving/reading email with.

Set it up as described and you will be able to read your Verizon and FatCow mail with it.

You will need the setting for POP and SMTP from both Verizon and FatCow

Check their respective websites

P

Collapse -
eMail in Snow Leopard

In reply to: The Mac Mail program

One more question - Does the email from other programs remain on their sites, even though I read them on Mail?

Collapse -
I'm a little confused

But I'm going to say Yes.

Email from what "other programs"?

Other programs do not usually send email to you.

If you are referring to your other email accounts like Verizon, GMail, YahooMail, Hotmail and the like, then the answer is yes, they stay on their respective servers until you delete them

P

Collapse -
Mail solved

In reply to: I'm a little confused

O.K.- I will visit my other mail sites and sweep them clean. Thanks again (*_*)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!