Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

email

by wait3264 / September 9, 2005 9:53 PM PDT

I need to do a presentation comparing browsers. I am trying to find the email storage limit and maximum attachment size for Mozilla, Opera, Netscape Navigator and Outlook. Also, If anyone has any input as to which browser would be the best I would appreciate the input.I am required to make a recommendation for one to be used in a professional environment. They all seem pretty much the same except for different bells and whistles plus the security issues. I understand IE is the least secure only for the fact that it is targeted by hackers. I have downloaded all four and have been using them. Personally, I use AOL (since 1994) which I like in spite of the negative opinion of many. Thanks, Kay

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll take a stab at this
by PudgyOne / September 10, 2005 6:49 PM PDT
In reply to: email

Most people are feeling that Internet Explorer has many flaws. Most people are changing to a different one. I have tried AOL's, Netscape's, and now MOZILLA FIREFOX'S.

I enjoy Mozilla Firefoxes the best. You can change the appearence to match your style, it has the same plug ins, and you can choose from the many extentions.

I have also stopped usinf Outlook Express. I now use MOZILLA THUNDERBIRD. It also has many features that it's browser has.

As for email storage limits, it depends on who your ISP is. Some ISP have storage of 6 MB, 100MB, 250MB, and gmail has a storage of 2582MB.

As for the size of email you can send, that too depends on your ISP.

I have CompuServe (sister company of AOL)right now, but in the near future I will be going to a better ISP. CompuServe on a 56k modem will only connect at 31200kb and it's suppose to connect at 56k. That's a big difference.

As for all people you should have good virus protection. Norton slows down your computer(if you have an older one) whereas AVG FREE or AVAST do not.

Also you need to have measures to stop spyware from getting into your computer. you can get C W Shredder to help remove some and you can also use SPYBOT SEARCH & DESTROY. Another good spyware remover is AD AWARE and one that stops spyware from getting into your computer is SPYWARE BLASTER. Then when all else fails you can get HIJACKTHIS.

If you use all these tools it will not elminate spyware from getting into your computer, but it will help. Some spyware gets into your computer using the Macromedia Flash player. If you feel that you still might have spyware in your computer, then you can go to PANDA ACTIVESCAN and do an online scan. You can also go to TREND MICRO to do another online scan.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
email
by wait3264 / September 11, 2005 8:27 AM PDT

I understand that more and more people are turning to programs like Mozilla and Opera. My concern is the fact that the browser is going to be used in a professional setting. I understand that IE has security flaws, however there may well be flaws in the other programs that haven't come to light because no one is interested in hacking them. If the systems using IE are running the proper protection, security issues shouldn't be a problem. It is also the responsiblity of the user to act in a prudent manner. I have only ever had one virus and that was through MS Sequel Server. I didn't know updates had to be downloaded separate from Windows updates. MS provided free support and I got the problem fixed right away.
I am basically looking for good solid reasons to recommend one browser over the others.
Kay

Collapse -
good solid reasons
by jonah jones / September 11, 2005 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: email

1: even with all updates and current security definitions, IE is still the most susceptible of all the browsers

2: the responsiblity of the user to act in a prudent manner there is no such animal IMO, listen to stories of company IT people not updating the company virus definitions or using their wifes name as a password

all things considered, as of today, almost any browser will suffice, just NOT IE if only for the reasons mentioned by you

jonah

Collapse -
Read this article
by PudgyOne / September 11, 2005 5:05 PM PDT
In reply to: good solid reasons
Collapse -
article
by wait3264 / September 11, 2005 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Read this article

I installed the software and ran it and there were no passwords stored there. Just some autocompletes from IE that I used when researching my project by using IE. I use AOL for internet access and I have a password manager (Norton) for all my passwords. Kay

Collapse -
When you scan
by PudgyOne / September 12, 2005 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: article

When you scan for viruses, it should show up that you have a hacker tool.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.