Computer Help forum

General discussion

emachine w3609 - no sound, no internet

by deiron / December 16, 2007 6:30 AM PST

Hello Everyone!,

Here's my problem: I have an emachine pc w3609 with these:

http://www.e4me.com/products/products.html?prod=W3609

specs. I tried downgrading it to Windows XP SP2, yet ran into two major problems.

1. Sound will not play and
2. My DSL is not being detected

I am very inexperienced when it comes to drivers. I'm not sure if the order in which i installed the drivers is the problem, or the particular versions, etc...

I hope to use the computer for online browsing purposes and playing World of Warcraft, if that is possible.

Anyways, I appreciate any feedback or helpful advice that is given. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: emachine w3609 - no sound, no internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: emachine w3609 - no sound, no internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2A Suggestion
by Waldorf PC / December 16, 2007 1:14 PM PST

Do you have the drivers to match the sound cards? You may want to check for those. As for the DSL, try uninstalling and reinstalling the program and see if that does not help it get detected. If it works, you'll be on the net in no time.

Until then, go to another computer and download the drivers to another CD. YOu'll need the proper drivers for the devices in order for them to properly work. Sometimes, after you've upgraded to another version of Windows, you'll need to make sure the drivers match the devices. i hope this helps. If not, feel free to ask further questions.

Collapse -
sounds works, now need internet to work
by deiron / December 18, 2007 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: 2A Suggestion

Hello! and thank you for your helpful suggestions.

for the DSL part you mentioned to 'try uninstalling and reinstalling the program'. Which program did you mean? My connection is ADSL and will be connecting through an ADSL bridge modem (which came w/ a software cd) or did you mean ethernet/network drivers?

when i connect my cable to the ethernet port and restart, the systrem tray has an icon the looks like two tiny computers w/ an exclamation mark. when i hold the cursor over, it says 'limited or no connectivity' on local area connection 2. Should this say 'local area connection 1' ?

I hope to here from you when you get time. This is driving me crazy. Take care.

Collapse -
Further Important Advice That May Help Your Situation
by Waldorf PC / December 16, 2007 1:32 PM PST

I am so sorry. I did not catch that you were downgrading. I only saw that you were changing from one version of windows to another. Nonetheless, when you downgrade or upgrade, you'll want to make sure you have all the drivers to match the hardware and devices. This includes your soundcard.

Though Windows XP is fairly good with plug and play when it comes to recognizing the drivers, it is not perfect. There are many different types of sound cards and video cards out there, and sometimes, Windows XP may have difficulty detecting it. Because of this, you'll need to sometimes manyally install the drivers yourself.

Though you got Windows up and running, it will not always work perfectly. You may have trouble with your screen resolution. You may not be able to get online. And, the there is your problem--the sound card. You'll need to make some adjustments to insure things are working the way you wantthem to.

After reinstaling the drivers. Double check them by doing the following.

1. Go to the start minue.
2. Go to the control pannel.
3. Go to the option that says System.
4. Click on hardware.
5. Click on the device manager.

This will give you a complete overview on the drivers to your hardware.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you do with this.

Collapse -
Which Sound And Ethernet Drivers Did You Install?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 17, 2007 5:41 AM PST

Prior to downgrading to an XP operating system, hopefully you wrote down all the devices and driver versions from the "Device Manager" while Vista was installed.. It will allow you to find the appropriate drivers for each device..

Unfortunately, you didn't tell us which drivers you installed or the order you installed them in.. That should help ...

I believe Sigmatel is the sound driver and if you haven't installed a sound driver for your card, then you need one.. Likewise, the Intel 945G chpset driver needs to be installed and then the Intel 82566DM Gigabit network connection driver for the ethernet card. Those drivers should be available at the Intel site, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Way to Go, Grif! :)
by Waldorf PC / December 19, 2007 4:23 AM PST

I was going to suggest that very thing concerning the Internet drivers. You beat me to it. Happy I truly hope he got things up and running. It is a pain to be out of commission.

Collapse -
eMachine W3609 Win XP sound driver
by angelofchaos99 / December 29, 2007 3:35 AM PST

Having had the same problem, I understand your frustration. Here's Intel's page for the motherboard drivers:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2613&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21

The driver you need for the sound card, specifically, is here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2613&DwnldID=13706&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional&lang=eng

The most current version is named AUD_allOS_x5511_v5511_PV_IDTGUI_v005.exe.

This really isn't such a bad PC when it runs on XP. Good luck!

Collapse -
DRIVERS
by KYBILL1313 / January 1, 2008 1:18 AM PST
Collapse -
In fact they do have XP drivers for the W3609
by Yoni5003 / February 8, 2008 6:39 PM PST
In reply to: DRIVERS

In fact they do have XP drivers for the W3609!
I was downgrading this customer's PC when I had to search for the right drivers in their website. All drivers you will download from the link I'll provide you here were downloaded from eMachines website. ALL OFF THEM! Why they don't want to provide support to their customers if they do carry the drivers? eMachines is making users life harder just for the hell of doing it!

I visited this customer earlier today to set up a small Home Network. He was frustrated and desperated because his eMachines W3609 didn't allow him to be any productive at all. (I still remember that expression on his face)- Just as a side note: the emachines W3609 with Windows Vista Home Basic CANNOT run any slower, it will be impossible to beat such slowness. On the other hand, Windows XP runs smooth and blazing fast in such hardware configuration.

Anyways, if you are downgrading your W3609 to XP you can download the following drivers from the link below:

Intel Chipset Drivers
Video Drivers
Audio Drivers
Modem Drivers

Download: http://uploads.windowsedge.com/index.php?p=download&hash=1Vr8sH3QKk2I

To install the Audio and Modem Drivers:

1- Unzip the downloaded Drivers.

2- Right click My Computer/ Properties. Select the Hardware Tab and click Device Manager. Right click the device you want to update (Audio or Modem), click the "Update Driver..." option from the context menu and performing a manual installation browse to the unzipped Drivers Folder you extracted in step 1. Select the Folder that contains the driver (Audio or Modem) Click OK and enjoy!

Just keep in mind that eMachines will not offer you any support next time you buy a PC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.