Desktops forum

General discussion

EMachine T6412 Video Card

by hataru / May 28, 2009 4:46 PM PDT

I am wanting to add on a new video card to my desktop comuter. I believe that it takes PCI Express cards though beyond that I am lost. Could someone please reccommend a Graphics card that could be used?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EMachine T6412 Video Card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EMachine T6412 Video Card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) For what type of use or what budget ??
by VAPCMD / May 30, 2009 1:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
upgrade the graphics card
by hataru / May 30, 2009 7:34 AM PDT

Gaming more than not. Such as Second Life, Sims 3, and the latest games.

Collapse -
Then you MAY need a new PSU too.
by VAPCMD / May 30, 2009 1:08 PM PDT

More powerful video cards usually require more wattage...so now that we know the use, what's the max budget for the project ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Budget
by hataru / May 30, 2009 1:12 PM PDT

$100-$150 As far as PCU that is greek to me. The comp didn't come with a seperate graphics card. May have to upgrade that later.

Collapse -
PSU....Power Supply Unit
by VAPCMD / May 30, 2009 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Budget

Check to see what PSU your system has .... 200W-250W is tops my guess. Then knowing roughly what your PSU supports, go here and see the video card options.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2296.html

Just can't install a video that requires a 400-500W in a system with only 200W and expect it to run for long if at all.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Watts
by hataru / May 30, 2009 4:01 PM PDT

300w. I really don't know anything about what I am doing. which is why I am asking for help. So much of the information is like greek. Which is why I am asking for a recommendation.

Collapse -
PSU
by hataru / May 30, 2009 4:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Watts

Ok. So I think I now need to know how to upgrade the PSU. Looking through the different Graphics cards the GeForce 9600 GT Video Card seems to be what I am looking for. Though the recommended wattage for it is 400 and I only have 300.

Collapse -
Now you're on the right track ...the choice you now face is
by VAPCMD / May 30, 2009 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: PSU

buying a video card that will work with your existing 300W PSU or buying a higher performance video card (GPU) which usually requires more power AND a power supply (PSU) that supports it...including any special PSU connectors for the video card. Even if you just buy the video card to go with the existing PSU .. you may need PSU cable adapters for the video card.

So take a look at your system DOCs...they often show 'How To' add RAM, add video card, replace PSU, etc., If you don't find that, there are many many online websites that have guides for 'How To' do any of these things.

Once you pick a video card and perhaps PSU, post here for comment.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
PSU and Graphics card
by hataru / May 31, 2009 9:34 AM PDT

Ok so went to Staples and found a PSU that is 430w. Now I am looking at the GeForce 9600 GT and the GeForce 8600 GT. Not sure which one to get. Also at the Staples they show the GeForce 8600GT as being a DDR2. My comp uses DDR 1 Ram. Yet the two cards are both pci-e. Any recommendations at this point?

Collapse -
Time out ... did you see an 8600GT on the list at
by VAPCMD / May 31, 2009 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: PSU and Graphics card

Tomshardware.com ? I don't. It's an obsolete, end-of-life product.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2296-2.html

What's the total budget for a card and PSU ?

OK...what are the PSU specs ? What make/series and model # ? Power supplies are a dime a dozen and specs are deceiving . . .some aren't worth putting in anything but a low priced unit you don't plan to keep.

Best advice ...slow down you've waited this long ..let's look at the options and do it right the first time.

VPAMCD

Collapse -
Specs
by hataru / May 31, 2009 1:27 PM PDT
http://compreviews.about.com/od/budgetdesk/gr/eMachinesT6412.htm

True the 8600 isn't on. Which leaves the 9600. Though I may be forced to find an older model graphics card. Due to the 9600 being a ddr 3 ram pci-e card.

At this point it seems I may just need to upgrade the motherboard or something first then the psu, ram, and graphics card.

I do apologize if I seem frustrated. Just that this is all new and am feeling a bit overwelmed with all the information.
Collapse -
I was asking about the power supply but it's good
by VAPCMD / June 1, 2009 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Specs

you linked the system specs.

Is it the case you only have 512MBs RAM ?

* AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor
* 512MB PC3200 DDR Memory
* 200GB 7,200rpm 2MB Cache Hard Drive
* 16x DVD+/-RW Burner
* AC'97 Audio with Stereo Speakers
* ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Integrated Graphics with 128MB Shared Memory
* v.92 56Kbps Modem and Fast Ethernet
* Seven USB 2.0 Ports, One FireWire Port and 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
* Windows XP Home, Works 8, Money, Encarta, PowerDVD, Nero 6, Norton Internet Security 2005

Collapse -
PSU and Graphics card
by hataru / June 1, 2009 11:30 AM PDT

What was really bothering me was the DDR3 part. Since the ram needed for the comp was a DDR1. Didn't know that the graphics card just needed the PCI-E and had it's own separate proccess for it's ram. As for the 512 MBs of Ram. That was half due to it being shared Ram for the Video card. Which cause it to be closer to 320 MBs of Ram which has been rectified and added a gig before.

The PSU I am looking at is the Antec EarthWatts 430W PSU. The Graphics card I am positive on getting the Geforce 96000 GT. Which both of those would take what money I have to upgrade.

Collapse -
The system RAM and the video RAM don't have to be
by VAPCMD / June 1, 2009 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: PSU and Graphics card
Collapse -
Thanks
by hataru / June 1, 2009 12:58 PM PDT

Seems like the products will work. The Geforce 9600 GT and the Corsair PSU.

Thank you for all the patience and help you have given. It is very much appreciated.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad to help...just one thing....let us know the outcome.
by VAPCMD / June 1, 2009 2:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Gerforce 9600 GT
by hataru / June 2, 2009 3:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
Works Great
by hataru / July 5, 2009 6:16 AM PDT

Sorry it took so long to respond. I got the Graphics Card and Power Supply a few weeks ago and after a bit of trouble with installing the graphics card due to the metal frame in the back having some how become a bit bent out of shape the computer has sense worked far better than what it had before. Have tested it out thoroughly with different games such as Sims 3 which a friend owns and it plays it perfectly. I can now see the full movements as well on Second Life where as before it was choppy.

Thank you very much for you time and help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?