PC Hardware forum

General discussion

emachine t6212 and power supply....

by sciflyer / June 27, 2005 4:53 PM PDT

i purchased this machine, put in an asus geforce 6600, upgraded the ram to 1.5 GB, and the computer is very fast..
my question is, i am not really into "gaming", i am just a casual gamer now and then. i have Black and White, and the game runs great, and i will purchase the sequal. is the power supply that comes with the machine OK for this game, and maybe some others that are not graphic intensive? like i said, i am a casual gamer, and not into any of the newest games.
thanks,

sciflyer

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: emachine t6212 and power supply....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: emachine t6212 and power supply....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Be safe
by Willy / June 27, 2005 10:24 PM PDT

The problem with OEM systems is they tend to be build for the "model needs" and some room to grow on. Once, you exceed or really start to stuff the system you stress the p/s unit. Any power supply is suppose to be stable within 75% of it rating, the actual 100% can be reached and be stable BUT only for short periods. If the 77-100% is constantly being reached, sooner or later depending on the p/s make-up it will start to breakdown or outright fail. I've always recommend for a "generic" system at least 400W or better. Plus, be of a decent manufacturer. Cheap is cheap and will tell soon enough. Also, its now common to have 500W+ rated p/s units out there, just beware of quality. Check these websites for some info/details:
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com
http://www.newegg.com (or any trusted online vendor)

congrats '05 -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Emachines are known for their underpowered PSU's
by jcd / June 28, 2005 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Be safe
Collapse -
for the future...
by AKonny47 / June 28, 2005 1:26 AM PDT

you might want to purchase a newer game down the road that requires you to upgrade your current gpu. i would say antec, enermax, or ocz. maybe you want to upgrade to another hard drive. the new power supply will also make your computer run quieter and probably cooler.

konny

Collapse -
Re: emachine t6212 and power supply....
by John Robie / June 28, 2005 9:21 AM PDT

Hi Sciflyer,

You indicate you have the GeForce 6600 and not the 6600GT. I have not seen any game requirements for a specific amount of power supply in the 6600. Games state on the box or 'read file' what the minimum requirements are for the computer speed, RAM, and Video Card....not the power supply. Your 6600 card (PCIe) with the T6212 300W power supply should play any game out there including the new Battlefield 2 that has the most demanding minimum requirements. Some factories putting out the GeForce 6800 card do recommend a minimum of 350W for their cards. I have not seen such a requirement for the 6600 card, however I would suggest more than 300W for a 6600 AGP as opposed to the PCIe card as the AGP card requires an additional attachment cable to the power supply.

If you encounter problems or increase to a higher card, and adding additional components to your computer, you probably will need more than a 300W power supply, but for now...don't sweat it.

Re the Black & White game, sounds good...I probably should have. It came out around 2001. Back then a site that listed the requirements stated:

''This is not a game you try to play with a slow system!!''

Minimum system requirements:

* Windows 95/98/ME/2000 (Note it was before XP)
* 350Mhz Intel Pentium II or AMD K6 Processor
* 64mb Ram
* 4x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
* 500mb hard drive space for install, plus room for windows swap-file and DirectX 7 installation.
* 8Mb Direct3D capable video card with DirectX 7 compatible Driver
* Directx7 compatible sound card
* Keyboard
* Mouse

Recommended:

* 500mhz or faster Intel Pentium III processor
* 128mb RAM; 8x or faster CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
* 16mb or greater Direct3D capable video card with DirectX 7 compatible driver.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thanks all!!!!
by sciflyer / June 28, 2005 10:16 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?