Computer Help forum

General discussion

Emachine T2890 Won't Start

by voicetoons / February 10, 2007 8:03 AM PST

My 11-year old nephew has a 18-month old emachine t2890 (piece of garbage) and last night he shut down as normal, yet went to restart the system today and it will not start. I checked it out, replaced the power supply yet no action or power. There is a green light on the motherboard but still it will not fire up. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Emachine T2890 Won't Start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Emachine T2890 Won't Start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What Have You Tried?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 9:56 AM PST

1. Opened the tower and reseated the motherboard and ALL plugs?

2. Removed and reseated the memory modules one at a time?

3. Checked for bulging capacitors that may have caused the motherboard to fail?

4. Removed and reseated all PCI cards?

5. Unplugged all CD & DVD drives, then attempt to start?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
what we've tried
by voicetoons / February 11, 2007 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: What Have You Tried?

thanks grif. yea we tried all that (i'm somewhat exp on pc's owning a studio) but we did not look for any blown or puffed capacitors, etc as there was no power surge as the kid just shut down the tower using the normal process. Thus we opened the tower, unplugged and replugged in all connections, ribbons, etc then since there was no green light on the mobo we went ahead and replaced the power supply, rechecked all componants, cards, etc and now do get a green ready light on the mobo. but no power up. I've read this likely means the board is toast (how is strange to me) but it just shocks me that simply shutting down would have fried it during shutdown. any thoughts? could a bad cpu fan stop the power up process all-together? many thanks.

Collapse -
Probably Not But..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 11, 2007 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: what we've tried

... a bad fan could cause the processor to take a dump which would appear to be the same thing.. Likewise, if the kid plays games frequently, overheating could easily cause the capacitor bulging or leaking issue, eventually causing the motherboard to die.

Still, based on you stated procedures, it does appear to be the motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
fan...
by voicetoons / February 12, 2007 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: Probably Not But..

thanks grif. so are you saying it is likely that a pc will NOT restart or power up IF the cpu fan is bad? is there any way for me to check if the mobo is toast, or the fan if we do not see any signs of a mettldown on the mobo? thanks much for your help

Collapse -
No Way To Check That I Know Of..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 12, 2007 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: fan...

We simply replace.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!