Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Eliptical training. Question for work outers.

by Terry Browne / April 13, 2006 3:28 PM PDT
"Shrank stresses & intensified efficiency implies you could burn off the equal measure of kilocalories as those physical exercising on powered treadmills, only, be less wore down at the end of it. In the event you don’t trust me, try it out for yourself, you’ll be surprised."

That's what it says at the site! And no, I don't trust him/her! I have been walking a treadmill for some time at the gym and I can walk for 30 minutes/3.5 mph and burn about 250 calories and I have about 65% of my max heart rate most of the time. With the eliptical machine I step for 5 minutes and my HR is up to almost 80% of MHR! After 20 minutes/~3 mph I have burnt about 200 calories and I'm half dead. Anyone has any experience similar to mine?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Eliptical training. Question for work outers.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Eliptical training. Question for work outers.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can't speak for calories
by grimgraphix / April 13, 2006 5:38 PM PDT

and from what I've read, you can't trust any of the calorie read outs to be accurate. Same thing for the pulse HR count unless you have picked up one that straps a sensor around your chest right over your heart.

I will say this. Last year I spent 6-7 months in physical therapy after I ruptured a disc in my lower back. The elliptical trainer simulated running with the least amount of impact of any machine I tried - avoiding impact was critical for me as anyone who has gone through what I did can tell you a sneeze can leave you crying on the ground. I know about the running aspect because I used to have a 20 mile a day habit from high school through college.

If the "less wearing down" aspect is from less impact I would agree... but if it's one of those "work less and still lose weight" deals I would be doubtful. The biggest drawback to the elliptical trainer is simply the cost to purchase a good one. Precor makes the best and with its adjustable angle ramp it can put you through a great workout... the cheapest ones can actually be dangerous since parts have been known to break in the middle of a vigorous workout. Treadmills are much safer if they fail and also cheaper to purchase a good one. I got a tread mill for the living room and spend at least a 1/2 hour every night. I even lift 4 pound dumbbells while on it (4 pounds sounds wimpy but do it for a half hour while doing 2 miles and it will make you sweat!).

FYI... while I was in PT one of my physical therapists who ran triathlons worked out during her lunch on the elliptical every day. Jane swore by it.

grim

Collapse -
Start at a lower setting, Terry,
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 13, 2006 11:28 PM PDT

and work your way up. Your complaint itself shows how much more efficient the elliptical is than the simple treadmill -- but it's also akin to a couch potato complaining that his first mile run just about killed him, when he didn't gradually work his way up to long distance running.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
It's ok today!
by Terry Browne / April 14, 2006 2:11 AM PDT

Today it worked out just fine. I guess one needs a little of a technique too to do that machine.

However what I was reacting to was the following part of the article (emphasize is mine): "you could burn off the equal measure of kilocalories as those physical exercising on powered treadmills, only, be less wore down at the end of it."

Collapse -
I think they may be referring to the low-impact nature
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 14, 2006 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: It's ok today!

of the machine, Terry, rather than to the effects of exercise on ones "fatigue" level!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That makes sense.
by Terry Browne / April 14, 2006 3:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
I am wondering....
by Angeline Booher / April 14, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

.... if these are the ones sold on TV via infomercials.

If so, they all seem to requite being put together by the purchaser. If this is so, I think I would burn a heap of calories putting one together, but my blood pressure would also rise dramatically. Happy

I am a regular walker, though. That served me in good stead when taking a stress test via the cardiologist, the only time I have been on a treadmill.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Fortunately for me
by Terry Browne / April 14, 2006 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I am wondering....

I have the possibility to work out at a great fitness center. But I am sure if I had to put that together I would probably need a punching bag and some benzos! Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :-)
by Angeline Booher / April 14, 2006 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Fortunately for me
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?