PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Electricity Power Questions

My PC will restart itself from time to time with scratching sounds of electric sparks (I hope you get this image). I'm running 2 80GB HDDs, Geforce MX420, Creative soundblaster. The power supply is 240watt max.
I need to know the reason for those weird sudden restarts and if my power supply is enough or not. I'd be grateful too if you told me about a software that monitors the electricity powers.

The second part is: I'm buying a Geforce 6600 (or 6600GT) vid card very soon. I heard it consumes 100watt alone. Does that mean I need to upgrade my power supply? Is it that easy? and what is the average price?

Thanks in adv

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Electricity Power Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Electricity Power Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe

In reply to: Electricity Power Questions

Collapse -
no questions asked, i'd upgrade

and currently this Thermaltake is for a good price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153006

it's not top of the line, no where near it, but it should work just fine (now don't let this lead you to believe any PSU in it's price range is fine, it's at an amazingly low price point, and it's of a fairly good quality)

also, that PSU includes directions for upgrading (I own that PSU for a second machine, and I can vouch for those directions being included so you can use those if you need to)

it also has a 20-24 pin adapter
and an adapter for PCIE video cards

Collapse -
Thanks, think I'll get

In reply to: no questions asked, i'd upgrade

one of those inexpensive units. Question..notice a vent in the case where the power cords exit to components. On the two fans, are they both blowing hot air out or is one sucking air from inside the computer case(grill facing down) and the other blowing hot air out the back of case.

Collapse -
John, both fans result in exhausting to the exterior

In reply to: Thanks, think I'll get

Usually the second fan gets connected to a 3 pin connector on the mobo for temperature control. Yes, two fans in series is not the most efficient thing in the world, but the input air path to the rear fan is through a lot of hardware and heatsink resulting in a lower flow from inside the case. The second fan makes things better. LOL

No, Intel's original ATX spec that said to blow the air from the power supply over the CPU died years ago. Twas a pretty embarassing item, howevert Power Supply and computer mfrs simply reversed things and didn't wait for Intel to revise the spec [that happened two or three years later. LOL]

The computer that I am using to send this is still using a supply sucking air in and exhausting over the CPU. A 333 PII. Was a 233, went to 333 about 5 years ago.

Collapse -
Dual exhaust...

In reply to: John, both fans result in exhausting to the exterior

Thanks Ray.

I currently have the one fan blowing out through the power supply to the rear, and besides the processor & video card fans, I have a rear case 80mm fan sucking in air, Course there are vent areas in the front of the case, but it just seems strange to me that a two fan PS would suck in warm air within the case passing through part of the PS and blowing part of that increased hot air down back into the case.

I was reading some of those 293 owners reports and a few said that the dual fan PS made their computer cooler...hmmm.

Collapse -
IMHO I'd have the rear fan exhausting

In reply to: Dual exhaust...

Your case should have a front intake area, usually hidden from view. Pulls air in from between the plasic front and the metal structure. In most cases one can add a fan there also. Of course with the tower near the floor that pulls in a lot of dust.

I only use cases with top exhaust and a side fan. Then add the rear exhaust. Very low, I'm not sure that I believe them, CPU temps, but I do so little with my computers it is a moot point.

Stop in at Radio Shack and buy one of their indoor/outdoor thermometers, [$15] the one with a 36 inch wire to the outside temp sensor. Then you can check temps throut your case with the cover completely intact. Then you can find out which airflow directions work best.

Collapse -
Hey, Haisokl. What is with that BUM MACHINE?

You've posted for weeks with problems on your machine.

Why not fix it or toss it?

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lol .. Messed up machine .. I know

In reply to: Hey, Haisokl. What is with that BUM MACHINE?

Collapse -
What is with that BUM MACHINE?

In reply to: Hey, Haisokl. What is with that BUM MACHINE?

Well Bob's comment spiked my courisity. So I went throught some of you old posts. Lots of talk about monitors and video cards, But what are your PCs specs and how did you end up with a 240w PSU? John

Collapse -
Get some more wattage! Might as well...

...get 480-500 watt www.pcpowerandcooling.com or www.antec.com

If it's rebooting now you MUST replace it!!! Possible damage to the proc/RAM/HDD if they're forced to run underpowered.

Collapse -
i'd be forced to agree

In reply to: Get some more wattage! Might as well...

and john, you do that, some people actually have fine luck with low grade units
but considering that you don't want to be replacing it often, i'd suggest the higher priced unit...

Collapse -
Well.......

In reply to: i'd be forced to agree

I went ahead and ordered that $36 Thermaltake 420W PS for one of my PC's...me being an ole cheapo & sale buyer, but hey... 293 sober testimonials kinda show a little support huh. Wink

I don't have PS problems with the current PS, but plan on adding a DVD and 2nd HD, & possible upgrade video card, so gonna put the cheapo 420W in and see...

Tomorrow is the last day to buy that PSU at Newegg on sale for $36.

Collapse -
This writer, personally would like to have

explored the arcing issue for academic purposes. With the low voltages used by the PC, arcing should be very unusual. Maybe some bad capacitors popping.

However a new supply really was problably the thing to do without further troubleshooting.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!