Computer Help forum

General discussion

Electric shock on my PC's body.

by asmibee / August 21, 2005 1:34 AM PDT

Hi,
I have compaq AMD Athlon based machine.It is 3-4 years old.Recently I have been getting electric shock on the CPU body. Kindly help me.
asmibee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Electric shock on my PC's body.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Electric shock on my PC's body.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Normal
by Yew / August 21, 2005 2:01 AM PDT

I'm assuming you mean static shocks, because if you really do mean electrical shocks, it's time to unplug the computer immediately and get a new one. It's now a fire hazard.

If it's simply a static shock, it's nothing to worry about. There are a lot of things that can cause a buildup of static electricity. New carpet, new shoes, dry climate, certain items of clothing like wool sweaters, the list goes on. You're not going to harm anything inside the computer if you're just getting a static shock when you touch the case. The case of the computer acts like the frame of a car would if hit by lightning. The charge is spread out across the case of the computer, but the insides are unaffected.

So you need to figure out if this is an electric shock or a static shock, because the two are very different and have very different consequences. To help you out, an electric shock, given the kind of current running through a computer, will likely hurt quite a bit. Might even cause some burning or skin inflamtion/irritation. Static shocks can be painful, but at most you're looking at a numb finger or hand for a few minutes.

Collapse -
If not ESD, then you may
by Ray Harinec / August 21, 2005 2:36 AM PDT

have lost your ground return, [third wire in the outlet] somewhere between your computer and the main power box in your house. That does not usually give one a huge shock. But is is a dangerous situation and must be corrected ASAP.

If you added a surge protector, UPS, or any such things, they could be defective. Inside the computer, I would suspect a leakage path in the Power supply, which a proper third wire ground would protect you by kicking the circuit breaker when the leakage got too high in current.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?