Desktops forum

General discussion

electric shock and usb problem

by djc45 / December 13, 2006 3:23 AM PST

Hi guys
I have a few problems with my desk top pc
winxp pro 2006 sp2
I get a shock when I touch the pc case when it is switched on but not when it?s switched off so I don?t think it?s static
It?s a pc I had in the UK and shipped it to Thailand, here there is no earth to the power supply like the uk so I don?t know if that has anything to do with the problem.
I have a neon electric tester and when I place this on the case of the pc I get a bright neon light if I am stood barefooted and a faint neon light if I have my shoes on.
(I get the same reaction with the pc I bought out here in Thailand so it seems as it?s not a fault with any damage because of it being shipped out here)
That?s one problem I have.
The other problem is the usb on board ports now stay live when I shut down the pc so I have to turn it of at the wall socket
I have a 4 port usb 2 pci card; they switch of when I shut down the pc
The bios has not been touched and I have deleted the drivers and windows found them when I rebooted

Grateful for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: electric shock and usb problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: electric shock and usb problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quick check
by Willy / December 13, 2006 6:31 AM PST

I don't trust wiring outside of typical housing and what they say and what is can be two different things. Get your hands on AC tester, looks like a 3-prong plug w/o any wiring. Its all enclosed in the plug with some leds. These leds offer what the wiring is set-up as and possible go/no go situation. Any decent electrical place should have them. If you have no ground, then make one using any water pipe or direct outside grounding stake, with grd. attachment if you truly have no ground. Otherwise, you maybe experiencing a 'floating grd.' a false level of grounding as some voltage from 'somewhere' is corrupted and gets into wiring in bad or loose connection. This is an electrical problem and requires a pro to sort it out, if that's the case. You get weird operation from anything 'electronic' or be set-up for a major failure besides safety issues.

As for 'static' you can cause a ESD discharge and then upon leaving becuase you touch something, you get discharged or your level is too low to be noticed, but its there. Thus, if you have a static problem it needn't be noticed, just get your hands on some discharge pads to touch before you touch the system to reduce this as a cause.

USB ports are active after system shutdown, that's normal. In fact anything connected if some LED is present will show voltage present but is in fact disabled, just power no active device. Nothing to worry about, remember the ATX type of psu allows a quick start-up when powered as it uses logic to start instead of a true AC on/off switch what many users would expect. Of course you pulling the AC cord will remove power entirely.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) I agree with Willy, good call
by acoxon1274 / December 13, 2006 12:33 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?