Speakeasy forum

General discussion

??Elections?? 2004 and 2008

by Mac McMullen / May 21, 2006 7:18 AM PDT

As I contemplate the upcoming elections this year and in 2008, I liken the situation to a flight from Someplace to Someplace. I purchased a seat on this flight with full confidence that I would arrive at Someplace. It was announced that this was the ceremonial final flight for this pilot as he was going to do something else with his life.

The take-off and ascent to 35,000 feet seemed normal. About half way into the flight, we suddenly find ourselves with the seat belt sign ?on?, and experiencing moderate to severe turbulence. Many passengers are suffering anxiety and suggesting we change ?pilots?. There are several individuals on-board who claim to be qualified to operate this airplane. Would it be wise to change pilots mid-flight, mid-storm, without first ?qualifying? that replacement ? Will the replacement merely change altitudes to clear the storm, and proceed to Someplace, or will that replacement change altitudes and return to the Someplace where the flight originated, or land the plane at some closest airport, and leave me stranded ?

I am fully aware and recognize that it takes much more than just the ?pilot? to get me to Someplace. It takes a lot of ?support staff?. The co-pilot, the navigator; the flight engineer; the cabin attendants; the ticket counter; the security people; the baggage handlers; the fuel suppliers; the maintenance mechanics; the weather forecasters; the control tower folks; and all those people in between who look at radar screens eight hours a day, not forgetting the people who operate and maintain the airports.

Getting to elected government, I see the election in 2004 as the selection and hiring of many of these support personnel. We have the time between now and then to research their qualifications; their backgrounds; their work habits; their commitment to serve us well.

I see the election in 2008 as the selection and hiring of the ?pilot? and all of the various department heads. Yes, department heads that will be appointed by the ?pilot? we choose. We have the time to do the necessary homework to allow us to make the correct decision in the hiring of that ?pilot?.

The problems we face in the world today won't suddenly vanish in November, 2008. Those problems (this flight and turbulence) will be around for a long time to come.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ??Elections?? 2004 and 2008
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ??Elections?? 2004 and 2008
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?