Mac OS forum

General discussion

Ejecting ?Time Machine Backup" does not operate

by erik.byczkowski / February 1, 2011 2:55 PM PST

The icon ?Time Machine Backup" (further on: ?TMB") on the desktop of my iMac (Mac OS 10.6.6) cannot be ejected. A window tells me:
?The medium ?TMB" is used at the moment by one or more programs an cannot be ejected."
Further: ?To eject the medium immediately, ?click at once."

Having done this the following window tells:
?Do you really want to eject the medium? This can lead to problems with the medium or the information within the medium."

Having pressed the button ?eject immediately" the follwing window shows:
?The medium ?TMB" has been ejected."

And so it happened till the next time I start ?TMB".

It is interesting: having loaded ?TMB" and done nothing, ejecting the medium is properly performed.

What is the reason for this behavior, though no programs are open?
How can this fault be fixed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ejecting ?Time Machine Backup" does not operate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ejecting ?Time Machine Backup" does not operate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do the question marks represent?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 1, 2011 8:55 PM PST

I am also running 10.6.6 and do not have a Time Machine Backup icon on the desktop.

I do have a Time Machine icon in the dock though.

Is TMB the name you have given to the Hard Drive that you use as for Time Machine Backups? If so, why would you be ejecting it?

Unless you are planning on moving it to another machine, it should just sit there and do its thing

P

Collapse -
And TIme Machine is always running,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 1, 2011 8:56 PM PST

which may be why you are getting the "in use" dialog

P

Collapse -
Ejecting Time Machine Backup does not operate
by erik.byczkowski / February 1, 2011 10:56 PM PST

First: the question marks should represent quotation marks; before I visited Mac OS forum I drafted my problem in Mac "Pages" and then copied it into the message body of Mac OS forum. By doing this, the quotation mark on the left of TMB turned into a question mark and I even didn't notice it ;-))

Sorry, I forgot to post that I have an external hard drive called TMB.
I only start this ext. HD, when I want to make a backup (then the icon appears on my desktop). When the backup has finished, I eject the icon & then happens what I've written. In addition I must say that the ext. HD also includes other files beside the file "Backups.backupdb".

Collapse -
Time Machine Utility
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 2, 2011 8:47 AM PST

is a piece of software that is always running. As I said, this may be where you get the error message from.

Of course, you could always try turning Time Machine off from its preferences. You can access them from the icon in the dock.
Right click or Control Click the icon and choose Open Preferences.
From there you can turn it off. Do so and then eject the disk.
Let us know what happens

Alternatively,
Why not just leave the thing running and let it do its own thing. You will not notice it and the backups only take a couple of minutes.

P

Collapse -
Ejecting Time Machine Backup does not operate
by erik.byczkowski / February 2, 2011 2:11 PM PST
In reply to: Time Machine Utility

Thanks for the proposal: the icon can be ejected, having TM turned off its preferences.

But as suggested, I will leave the ext. HD running, so there will never return my described problem.

Thank you for your support.

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 2, 2011 8:52 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?