Computer Help forum

General discussion

EFS encryped files

by jim_holland / November 1, 2009 9:10 PM PST

Lost my boot drive to hardware crash. System BIOS does not even see it and will not let new boot drive work if installed as a slave.

Using XP Pro with latest service packs and had an external USB drive for my data. The problem is most of my data was in encrypted folders.

Murphy's law says that of course I don't have backup's of the certificates needed to let the most popular decryption program recover the data.

After much searching find I have 2 options.
1) Find better decryption software (I found out that Micro$oft and the government has some, unadvertised of course).

2) Find a hard drive data recovery company and send it them so they can either recover my old OS and/or certificates then use publicly available software to recover the data on my USB drive. Some reviews of these type companies make me wonder if I can trust their price quotes.

So I can recover my data, but option 2 is costly and time consuming and I am not sure of the best company.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EFS encryped files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EFS encryped files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's the cheap fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 9:19 PM PST
In reply to: EFS encryped files
Collapse -
will not work
by jim_holland / November 2, 2009 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: Here's the cheap fix.

Tried the free demo and contacted their sales staff and they verified their stuff will not work in this case.

Collapse -
Werd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: will not work

What's different? I've used this for years on EFS. Was something odd done or other than EFS used?

Sorry to read about your loss. What happened to not get those certificates or better yet, why use EFS since it's dangerous!

Collapse -
reason
by jim_holland / November 2, 2009 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Werd.

The reason is the hard drive with the security certificates must be in the system and scalable.

Collapse -
scalable?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: reason

For years I've brought back EFS files with that company. I'm left to guess that there are other factors and a story untold here.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

But did this event help your company develop a better disaster plan?
Bob

Collapse -
Scanable
by jim_holland / November 2, 2009 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: scalable?

It is basically an external drive on a new system as far as XP and other software is concerned.

Since the public/private certificates that I have access to will be different. The 'passwords' I need are on the drive that is so broken that it will not let me boot if I put it in the system too.

Using TrueCrypt now and was moving the data to that hidden volume on the external drive when the main drive failed. So I was able to recover a few files that were inside that.

Since I am a private consultant that handles other external jobs too, my

The other produce I have tried is Advanced EFS Data Recovery. It would work IF my old drive was 'scan-able'.

Collapse -
Ah, TrueCrypt
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 9:52 AM PST
In reply to: Scanable

That changes everything. Even with a non bootable drive, as long as I could copy the files out then EFS protected files came back.

But that's not why I write. Having seen too many TrueCrypt failures I would not be using that either.
Bob

Collapse -
back to orginial question.
by jim_holland / November 2, 2009 11:25 AM PST
In reply to: Ah, TrueCrypt

1) Software that I do not know about
2) Hard drive data recovery service then software I do know about

Collapse -
Who I'd ask next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 8:45 PM PST

If this is Truecrypt, ask them.

But the lesson is clear here. To avoid overstimulating that raw nerve I won't write it here.
Bob

Collapse -
Not a TrueCrypt issue.
by jim_holland / November 2, 2009 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: Who I'd ask next.

TrueCrypt works fine. It was just part of what was on my external hard drive. That data I recovered with no problem.

I am assuming since the software you suggested worked for you, that you did not continue to look and don't know of another package that might work for me. I know the software exists, tho don't know if it is for sale to the public.

Have you ever used or heard good things about a specific hard drive data recovery lab?

Collapse -
You're rigtht.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 9:31 PM PST
In reply to: Not a TrueCrypt issue.

After a decade of getting files back we don't keep looking for alternatives. As to a lab, http://www.drivesavers.com is used. Again they always do the job so we don't shop around there either.

Collapse -
Anyone else?
by jim_holland / November 7, 2009 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: You're rigtht.

I will try the data savers after a little more looking to software to do the job.

Does anyone else know of something that might work?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?