Desktops forum

General discussion

Effects of bottleneck?

by Froger / November 1, 2005 9:16 AM PST

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ & MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum = s$625 ( Processor and Mobo)

Cosair PC 3200 DDR 400 1 GB (2 x 512mb) = s$170 ( RAM )

MSI GeForce 7800 GT PCI Express = s$718 ( Graphics Card )

Seagate 160Gb 7200 rpm 8MB cache (5 years) SATA = s$158 ( Hard Drive )

BenQ DW1640 16x DVD+_RW = s$83 ( DVD Writer )

Antec True Power 2.0 430W = s$162 ( Power Supply )

Lian-Li PC7A+ Black = s$139 ( Case )

Keyboard, some cheap Logitech = s$20 ( Keyboard )

Razer Diamondback = s$88 ( Mouse )

Func 1030 = s$ 40 ( Mouse Pad )

TOTAL = s$2203, US$1,302.94

Its a bit of a bottleneck, just wanna know what the effects and what can i do about it. Thx in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Effects of bottleneck?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Effects of bottleneck?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure what you mean
by Steven Haninger / November 1, 2005 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: Effects of bottleneck?

A bottleneck refers to an area where the path is too narrow to handle the traffic. Are you saying your performance is not as expected?

Collapse -
It means
by Froger / November 1, 2005 4:18 PM PST
In reply to: Not sure what you mean

as in the whole thing is not really balanced, the graphic card is top of the line, but the rest are below it, someone else in the forums said it was a bottleneck, so i just wanna know what that might do to the performance

Collapse -
In that case my thoughts are
by Steven Haninger / November 1, 2005 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: It means

that a higher end graphics card can, in some cases, compensate for deficiencies in other areas. It can relieve the CPU of some work and improve visual performace in that way. The opposite is not always true. Putting an extra 100 bucks into a slightly faster CPU might not give the graphics boost of putting the same into a better video card. Only benchmarking can validate this however.

Collapse -
Well
by scottinindy / November 1, 2005 4:44 PM PST
In reply to: Effects of bottleneck?

It really shouldn't be a huge problem at this time, Not that many games out where you would find a problem in regard to your cpu bottlenecking your system. Games such as BF2 are more of a memory hog than a CPU hog. If you think you are feeling the crunch upping the memory to 1.5 or 2 gigs has made a much bigger impact for many people than upgrading the processor. Overall you have a very solid system listed and it should game quite well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?