Laptops forum

General discussion

effect of sudden electricity cut on laptop without battery?

by AM_SOS / January 15, 2009 3:02 AM PST

A simple question- if the laptop switches off in an improper way while downloading stuff ( e.g. when it is suddenly switched off while running directly on AC power ), does this harm the hard drive in a serious way?
I ask this because i have not been using the laptop battery at times. However, due to one reason or the other, the electricity supply has got cut many times when large files (movies etc) are being downloaded.
though i have not observed any problems with the downloaded data, i am equally worried about my hardware !
please clarify
thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: effect of sudden electricity cut on laptop without battery?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: effect of sudden electricity cut on laptop without battery?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Desktop Issue as well.
by Renegade Knight / January 15, 2009 3:46 AM PST

Desktops have been having this issue for years. If it's a concern use a surge protector with battery backup, same as you would for a desktop.

Collapse -
but what about the hard drive?
by AM_SOS / January 18, 2009 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: Desktop Issue as well.

hey sorry for not being clear. if one is NOT using a battery at all and running the laptop directly on AC power, and the electricity gets cut, does this harm the hard drive in any serious way?
or is there some mechanism within the hard drive that ensures that the hard drive gets parked properly?
i have a toshiba A 200 laptop.
thanks!

Collapse -
Define "harm."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2009 12:57 AM PST

The issue of data corruption is well known so let's dismiss that from the definition of harm. Excluding that, the power going out will not kill a drive.

The question about parking is model specific. You must research the make, model of the hard disk and what they publish about it. There is no blanket statement you can make here but parking is an issue that was solved decades ago. Do you have a 20 year old drive?
Bob

Collapse -
The biggest problem with that is corupt data
by orlbuckeye / January 18, 2009 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Define "harm."

rather then complete hardware failure. That's why when using Flash drives it's reccommmended use the Safely remove hardware icon in your taskbar. It makes sure all files are closed when you remove the device.

Collapse -
how to check for corruption?
by AM_SOS / January 19, 2009 2:45 AM PST

by "harm" i specifically have the longevity of the hard drive in mind. i.e. does repeated improper haulting of the drive (such as would happen in case the laptop is run without battery and the AC power gets cut suddenly) lead to a significant reduction in its service life?

since i am a beginner i do not have much knowledge about data corruption. in the cases that i have mentioned about my hard drive stopping suddenly, i have been in the middle of downloading large files (to the tune of several hundred MB's). so how do i check if they are corrupted or ok?

Collapse -
Tell me about improper halting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2009 4:07 AM PST

I'm at a loss for words here since we used hard disks in an embedded DVR system and NEVER did any document claim you could harm the drive by turning off the power. Sure you can corrupt a sector but that's not harm and would not reduce the drive life span.

Tell me what document you read that from. The documents I used were PDFs and data sheets from the drive maker's themselves. I'd like to know about this harm. Who and where did that come from?

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.