Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Edwards thinks eBay is like a bake sale or lemonade stand.

by Kiddpeat / October 13, 2004 12:07 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Edwards thinks eBay is like a bake sale or lemonade stand.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Edwards thinks eBay is like a bake sale or lemonade stand.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Curious
by James Denison / October 13, 2004 12:23 PM PDT

Did you run a search on "bake sale" and "lemonade stand" on Ebay?

Collapse -
Wasn't it Kerry who
by TONI H / October 13, 2004 8:44 PM PDT

during an interview talked about the little boy who came up to him with money that the child had collected personally for Kerry's campaign. "Lemonade stand" funds perhaps?

TONI

Collapse -
No, Edwards was criticizing Cheney for touting E-Bay.....
by Josh K / October 13, 2004 11:56 PM PDT

....as a substantial source of income for the people who use it. Granted there are people who are able to make a living buying and selling on E-Bay, but most users are "small-time."

Wondering whether Cheney would count lemonade stands next sounded right on target to me.

Collapse -
Re: No, Edwards was criticizing Cheney for touting E-Bay....
by Dick White / October 14, 2004 2:04 AM PDT

Josh, if eBay is mostly "small time" users (such as me, using it in lieu of the weekend tag sale in the front yard to get rid of some junk in my basement), why was the recent PayPal snafu such a big deal for the eBay "system?" It was because all those businesses whose principal marketplace is eBay were unable to conduct their financial transactions. There are lots of sellers who have enough different stuff out there over years of seller ratings that they must not have a day job - or perhaps, eBay is their day job. And there are a number of traditional bricks-and-mortar and standard on-line merchants who use eBay as another sales venue. Granted, most eBay buyers are probably small-time, but my impression is that eBay sellers are more often now in it as a business.

dw

Collapse -
I guess you didn't read the article. It explained pretty
by Kiddpeat / October 14, 2004 6:22 AM PDT

well how big eBay and Paypal are. It also described how a lot of thriving businesses have sprouted based on eBay. Do you really think all those sales are coming from occasional, casual use?

I guess Edwards is not the only challenged one.

Collapse -
Re: I guess you didn't read the article. It explained pretty

C'mon, KP -- there's an honest difference of opinion here about a trivial matter; it's not worth an insult!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
What's insulting about saying someone is challenged
by Kiddpeat / October 14, 2004 1:14 PM PDT

when it comes to business? I'm sure a lot of people are. They are not, however, running for Vice President of the United States.

Collapse -
Re: Edwards thinks eBay is like a bake sale or lemonade stan
by holtnr / October 14, 2004 3:17 AM PDT

Considering the small volume of TAXED transactions on eBay, It would require a rare politician indeed to take eBay seriously... Wink

Collapse -
Re: Edwards thinks eBay is like a bake sale or lemonade stan
by Dick White / October 14, 2004 3:47 AM PDT

What kind of taxes were you thinking of? Collection of sales tax is a state government issue and is no different whether an eBay seller or any other on-line or mail-order merchant - if the merchant doesn't have a presence in the purchaser's state which obligates the seller to collect the tax at the time of sale, it is the purchaser's duty to self-report on their individual tax returns. If you are thinking of the income taxes owed by a merchant on the net profits of their sales, think again. The cash underground economy evades taxes because it is cash. eBay is not a cash business. If the payment to the seller is by check, then it goes through a bank account and there is a record available to the IRS tax examiner. If the payment was through PayPal, there is a record. A business would be a fool to think they could just not report income from their eBay sales. eBay had US$24 BILLION in merchandise sold through them in 2003. Admittedly, some portion of that was international, but eBay is no longer just a funky electronic flea market where unknown sellers put up a couple of pieces of junk for anonymous buyers and then disappear.

dw

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.