Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Education secretary urged his employees....

by EdHannigan / August 30, 2010 10:02 PM PDT

to attend Sharpton's rally

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Education-secretary-urged-his-employees-to-go-to-Sharpton_s-rally-651280-101839293.html#ixzz0yBTOEIh1

President Obama's top education official urged government employees to attend a rally that the Rev. Al Sharpton organized to counter a larger conservative event on the Mall.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Education-secretary-urged-his-employees-to-go-to-Sharpton_s-rally-651280-101839293.html#ixzz0yBTeyvEn
Although the e-mail does not violate the Hatch Act, which forbids federal employees from participating in political campaigns, Education Department workers should feel uneasy, said David Boaz, executive vice president of the libertarian Cato Institute.

"It sends a signal that activity on behalf of one side of a political debate is expected within a department. It's highly inappropriate ... even in the absence of a direct threat," Boaz said. "If we think of a Bush cabinet official sending an e-mail to civil servants asking them to attend a Glenn Beck rally, there would be a lot of outrage over that."

Sheeesh!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Education secretary urged his employees....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Education secretary urged his employees....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Although the e-mail does not violate the Hatch Act"
by Mike_Hanks / August 30, 2010 10:23 PM PDT

Sure violates the spirit of the law.

Collapse -
It amazes me on a couple of levels...
by EdHannigan / August 30, 2010 10:34 PM PDT

that they would pull that crap in the first place, and that they give any credibility to Sharpton, who IMO should be in jail for his various criminal activities.

They seem to be afraid of the American people.

Collapse -
(NT) Remember Pelosi's "astroturf" charge?
by EdHannigan / August 30, 2010 10:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
Certainly not good.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 30, 2010 10:39 PM PDT

Not only underhand rallying against a legal demonstration, but also attempted coercion on the employees, many of whom may have different political viewpoints.

If it is true, then not clever at all.

Mark

Collapse -
Many of whom may have different political viewpoints...
by EdHannigan / August 30, 2010 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Certainly not good.

Those people probably been purged by now.

Collapse -
the spoils system
by James Denison / August 30, 2010 11:26 PM PDT

It was pilloried as being damaging to the country, so it was changed so employees of the various bureaucracies could remain after election changes. The remnants of the old spoils system is where only department heads are replaced by the new administration.

While I think that's arguably a better system than the old spoils system, it has come to mean change in any bureaucracy becomes glacial if at all. I believe the current problem exists not at the top where department heads are, but at the bottom with those who are appointed and allowed to do the hiring. This lower echelon has become a different sort of "spoils" system and it's time we opened up that area to replacement people following elections. Reason being so no bureaucracy of govt becomes too one sided politically based on the workers they choose to hire.

I think a reasonable change could be made in the area of hiring to avoid any bureaucracy becoming too over balanced in favor of one particular political party. When new heads of the various bureaucracies are appointed, they should have the power and be diligent to appoint people they approve of for doing the hiring in those bureaucracies during that administration. This would not cause large loss of jobs like during the spoils system, but would assure that natural attrition and job replacement would be closer politically to where the country wants it to be.

Collapse -
Definitely inappropriate
by Roger NC / August 31, 2010 8:08 AM PDT

Even if not illegal, it shouldn't be allowed.

My company certainly won't allow political emails, even by rank and file. We had a guy get a warning just recently for forwarding an email about Social Security. He forward what he thought might be interesting to a computer of a guy about to retire. But more than one person uses that terminal, and the next guy complained to Human Resources about it.

There was a political partisan bit at the end. The guy who forward it made the rather dumb mistake of not reading the entire thing before he forward it. He thought it was all facts. He didn't read the entire document and see the political dig at one party at the end. The second guy that read it, too offence and forward it with a complaint straight to the mill's personnel director.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?