HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Editing the XP registry through Win98SE?

by LyndaN42 / June 28, 2008 12:20 PM PDT

My uncle ran RegClean on his dual-boot (98SE/XPSP2) PC and since then has only been able to get as far as the XP login screen, even in XP's safe mode. I'm guessing something important got "cleaned" off.

I had him boot into 98SE to find the Regclean undo files, and they are huge, but being he can't get back into XP he can't undo the changes.

Is there a utility that can run in 98SE, open the XP registry, and import the RegClean undo file back into the XP registry? Because I have no other ideas. (Any other workarounds would be welcome.)

He's running Win98SE and XP SP2 in a dual-boot on a 400mhz Compaq Presario. Not sure of the RAM, I think it's 256MB. Everything was running fine before he ran regclean. And the floppy drive doesn't work so a bootdisk is out. The XP partition is running on FAT32 so he can view all the folder from 98SE.

Thanks in advance (I hope),
Lynda

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Editing the XP registry through Win98SE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Editing the XP registry through Win98SE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Why not last known good boot?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 12:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The boot menu (after hitting F8) doesn't offer that.
by LyndaN42 / June 28, 2008 12:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 1:05 PM PDT

Then no. There is no supported method to do this in Windows 98. But you can MANUALLY ROLL BACK THE REGISTRY as noted in this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

You can do this in your Windows 98 command window.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, but now it could be something else.
by LyndaN42 / June 29, 2008 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

Hi Bob, thanks for the article, I printed it out to keep.

What I learned now is that his XP is having the endless logon/logoff cycle, so I'll have him do that copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe fix first, then if that doesn't do it, I'll have him roll back the registry...or he'll have me do it. Happy

BTW, what I meant about the last known good configuration is that the same thing happened when he booted with that. The way I wrote it made it look like it wasn't there, but it is. (Don't sleep and post, kids.)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction,
Lynda

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.