HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Editing the registry without boot, plz help!

by Crapozo / July 22, 2005 1:44 PM PDT

Hello, i have a .reg archine which i would like to merge(?) into the current registry on my xp pro machine

How would i do that?
Considering...
I CANNOT log into XP
I cannot run regedit from dos
I cannot run regedit from the recovery console
I cannot get into the safe mode of xp, nor command prompt or ANY of the boot options.

All i have available is my bootable xp pro upgrade cd and a win98 cd which i can use to get into dos...

Plz help, this is urgent

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Editing the registry without boot, plz help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Editing the registry without boot, plz help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you tell us
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 22, 2005 8:07 PM PDT

the full story?

I don't know what a .reg archine is. Perhaps someone else here does, but please tell us what is happening to your computer and what you are trying to do, and why.

You say you cannot log into XP, why not?

You cannot run regedit from DOS, XP doesn't have DOS, but whether DOS still remains after upgrading 98 to XP I am not sure.

Cannot run regedit from the recovery console. Why not, what error messages do you get?

You cannot get into Safe Mode of XP, nor the command prompt or any boot options. Why, what happens?

Does the BIOS recognise your hard disk?

I'm not an expert on these matters, but I am sure more information is vital before anyone can help you.

Mark

Collapse -
what happends..
by Crapozo / July 22, 2005 9:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Can you tell us

I can't get into the boot options, as far as i can go is that it stops at thwe longon screen and thats it
I cannot run regedit from the recovery console because if i try it says access is denied.
Yep the bios recognises the hardisk, it's only the windows xp thats the problem

What i mean by a .reg backup is a .reg registry files,
e.g file.reg files..

Collapse -
Like Mark I don't fully understand
by retired / July 22, 2005 10:02 PM PDT
In reply to: what happends..

What you are trying to do but if you have lost all options to boot you might try a parallel install. the instructions are below.

Perform a Parallel Install (Same partition)(New Windows Folder)

A parallel install of Windows XP is always a good idea If you are unable to boot into your original install of XP. You can boot into a parallel install to get access to the original install. From the parallel install you can replace registry files, modify registry files, replace bad driver files and retreive data.
A parallel install of XP should only be done to repair your original install or retreive data, It is not meant to replace your original installation.

1. Start your computer from the Windows XP/CD Rom

2. Watch for the prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD" (Loads Files) "Do not use again"

3. At the Welcome to setup screen, press Enter to begin the windows XP setup

4. End user license agreement, Press F8

5. To continue installing a fresh copy of windows XP without reparing press "ESC"

6. To setup Windows on the selected item press "Enter"

7. To continue setup using this partition Press "C"

8. Select the "Leave The Current File System Intact"(No Changes) option, press "Enter" to continue

9. Press ESC to install to a different folder

10. If the Program detects another OS it prompts you to type a name for the new folder after the slash(\), for example you could type \WINXP. if no other OS is detected the setup program automatically assigns \WINDOWS, press "Enter"

11. you will go thru the regular Windows setup, Product Key, ETC

12. After repairs are made you should delete the new Windows folder by restarting the computer and booting to the old windows setup.

13. Go to start/Run and type "msconfig", Open "Boot.ini" , highlight the new OS, click on "check all boot paths" and remove the entry for the new windows setup. .

Collapse -
Can you try
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 22, 2005 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: what happends..
Collapse -
other thread...
by Crapozo / July 22, 2005 10:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Can you try
Collapse -
OK
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 22, 2005 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: other thread...

I've locked this thread for the time being.

I hadn't realised the two threads were the same.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.