Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Editing software for MOV files

by rocksolid123 / August 22, 2009 12:33 AM PDT

I have a Panasonic camcorder SDR-h200 and the software it came with is very bad. What software can I use to edit and burn a dvd from the edits? I am looking for one piece of software that I can download the movie too, do the edits and then hit one button to burn a dvd, does such a software excist?? I do not want to go throught eh trouble of downlaoding the movie, then use a different program to edit and then a 3rd program to burn. I do not need anything fancy, just something to cut down some of my home movies with, taking out sceans that should not be part of the movie like when I put the camera down and did not turn off record and filmed the sidewalk for 10 min. I hope sopmebody can help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Editing software for MOV files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Editing software for MOV files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No such software exists.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 12:45 AM PDT

So once you figure that out I'll share the titles I've used to convert, snip clips (editing?) and put such to a Video DVD. This is only the titles to free software. If you encounter any request for funds then you didn't get the titles I noted.

1. Conversion = Super Video Converter.
2. Clipping = Virtual Dub.
3. Video DVD creation = DVD Flick.

Done.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by rocksolid123 / August 22, 2009 9:46 AM PDT

I will take a look at the different software you reccomended. I used file renamer to conver the MOV files to MPG and then used movie maker for editing but I don't know how to burn the files. Do I convert them back to a MOV file and then use DVD flick to burn it? I think that is where I am getting stuck, renaming the file so I can burn it and watch it on my TV.

Collapse -
The thing to look at here is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Looking at the DVD FLICK web site I see answers to that question. I am more than happy to share what I use but hope that all will try to use the web site's documentation.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks again
by rocksolid123 / August 23, 2009 7:55 AM PDT

I read through the help section and I must be missing somerthing. I tried to burn a dvd and nothing happened when i clicked on accept in the burning section. I thought I did it step by step but I must have missed something.

Collapse -
Let's say your machine can't burn DVD from DVD FLICK
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks again

Now use DVD FLICK to create an .ISO file. To put that proper onto a DVD I would use IMGBURN which is free and found with google. IMGBURN also has fine documentation but I used it without reading such.
Bob

Collapse -
sorry if this sounds dumb
by rocksolid123 / August 24, 2009 11:48 PM PDT

I don't know what an ISO file is. Are there any camcorders that use a hard drive memory that I do not need to go through all of this to edit a movie? I am just about ready to sell my Panasonic and get something else. CAn you make a reccomendation? I also found this step by step on a different forum. Here is what somebody else suggested to do.
1. download SDCOPY, which converts .mod files to .mpg files:
http://zyvid.com/smf/index.php?acti...ic=280.0;id=153

2. download Womble MPEG Video Editor DVD:
http://www.womble.com/products/dvd.html

3. ensure that you have a program on your computer that can burn a "data disc" to DVD-R or DVD+R. Nero or Roxio or Sonic should all work.

4. copy your footage from your SDR-H200 hard drive onto your desktop by dragging the appropriate files (extension will be .mod) onto your desktop into a designated folder

5. Use SDCOPY to convert the .mod files to .mpg

6. Use the Womble MPEG Video Editor DVD to make some basic edits; this make take a while to figure out. Do something basic for practice. Then you click DVD to burn to DVD. Take note of the name of the file folder where the DVD-video files are saved. (this program does NOT burn to DVD, but it makes the files that go straight to the DVD)

7. Use your disc-burning software to burn the contents of that file folder containing the DVD-video data onto a DVD disc. There was no "video DVD" function on the program I was using, so I picked "create Data disc".

It should work when you pop it into your DVD player.

Collapse -
Sadly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2009 1:52 AM PDT

I think that we need to keep reading that DVD FLICK documentation or do more research. I know it seems hard but one of the output options from DVD FLICK and many other DVD editors, creators is the ubiquitous ISO file.

At this point you may want to chuck the PC and head down to an Apple store. Have them show you how to get from your camcorder to a DVD. It almost holds your hand.

If you don't want to read the documentation I fear you'll have questions that have been answered in the documentation.

As to Womble, I have no need for that. I have my free and easy to use solutions.
Bob

Collapse -
is DVD Flick for Apple only?
by rocksolid123 / August 25, 2009 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly.

I am not running a MAC, I have a PC using Windows Vista. Is that a factor?

Collapse -
You just revealed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2009 4:34 AM PDT

That you are not reading the documentation or the DVD FLICK site.

You may want to find a computer coach or go ahead and get an Apple. Those are quite nice when it comes to video work.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?