Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

editing registry

by jgw0 / February 5, 2014 5:01 AM PST

I wonder if it is possible to edit the registry on a drive that is not booted up. My problem is pretty simple. I have a c drive and that c drive is connected to a motherboard that is toast. Now I have to move the drive to a new motherboard. To do that I am going to have to remove my enum directory from the current control set to force xp to reset its drivers to the new motherboard. I can no longer boot up on the old motherboard.

I can, however, hook the drive up as an external drive on another machine, I just don't know how to edit a registry when not logged into it.

Thank you..........

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: editing registry
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: editing registry
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Absolutely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: editing registry

But how to do this has been written about so many times that I would be left guessing what real question you have here.

In parting google this -> How to change motherboards and save Windows XP?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Not sure but have a look here.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 5:08 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) NTPASSWD. "I have the power!"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 5:09 AM PST
Collapse -
Of course.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 5:15 AM PST

I overlooked that the drive can hook up to another machine. thanks Bob.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Answer
you want to boot from it?
by James Denison / February 5, 2014 11:33 AM PST

Or just have it as an extra drive to use for data storage? If you put as a second drive in another computer and won't boot from it, there shouldn't be any problem, unless it's PATA type and all you have are SATA ports available.

Collapse -
more specifics
by jgw0 / February 6, 2014 3:58 AM PST

Thank you for the replies.

Here is what I want to do. I want to take a c drive, from an existing machine with a bad motherboard, and delete HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG > SYSTEM> CURRENTCONTROLSET > ENUM (and then delete the ENUM registry key) This will remove the drivers from the bad motherboard. Then I can replace the bad motherboard, reinstall the drive with the registry I just changed and try to boot. In theory XP will then proceed to rebuilt the ENUM key with the new motherboard's drivers, thereby allowing that drive to actually reboot.

Thank you......

Collapse -
NTPASSWD can do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2014 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: more specifics

Among other things.

Collapse -
why not put in the other computer
by James Denison / February 6, 2014 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: more specifics

and just boot to Safe Mode and do it? Have you tried Bob's suggestion?

Collapse -
plan
by jgw0 / February 6, 2014 1:45 PM PST

Thanks for the replies!

I have the offending disk attached as an external drive. I also now have a bartpe booting cd. Tomorrow I will see how I do with that. If I fail then I will move onto ntpasswd. I was reading the faq and the suggestion was to do unix things. I do have a unix machine running (Ubuntu - use it for programming).So I now have some options and, hopefully, I will not screwup everything. My main fear is that I will end up having to reinstall everything which would be a genuine pain.

Anyway, I will forage ahead and, for the heck of it, report (irregardless of results <G>)

Thanks again!

Collapse -
OK so you want to do it that way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2014 1:48 PM PST
In reply to: plan
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.