Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Editing Posts

by Orange16 / November 19, 2005 2:22 PM PST

Editing posts is a topic recently discussed in the Buzz Out Loud forum. This is a good idea and I wanted to bring it to the right forum.
The ability to correct post would be very helpful for common errors taht happen all teh time. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Editing Posts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Editing Posts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
but
by Mark5019 / November 19, 2005 4:14 PM PST
In reply to: Editing Posts

if editing was allowed, in SE speak easy it would be terible as i could call you a ^&***& and then go back and remove such and you would look like a fool:)

Collapse -
All you have to do
by Glenda / November 19, 2005 10:48 PM PST
In reply to: but

is use preview to edit your post. That gives the opportunity to correct any errors. Or are they talking about being able to REMOVE a post instead of the edit feature?

Collapse -
None of these forums
by John Robie / November 20, 2005 2:41 AM PST

including when they were named ZDNet had an "edit" feature. Before these current CNet forums were updated to the Jive system in October 2003, a post could be totally withdrawn (deleted,not edited) by the originator. It was common for someone to delete their post for spite, and some would get teed-off and delete weeks of their posts.

The 'edit' feature for these current forums has been suggested before and not considered feasable, especially for SpeakEasy. A post can be deleted by just clicking the "Report Offensive Post" and ask a Moderator to delete your post.

Like as has been mentioned you can correct (edit) your post using "Preview", but like myself I sometimes misspell words, getting submitted without checking a 'speller'.
Course' can alway post an 'addendum' or 'PS' for corrections.

Collapse -
Orange
by taboma / November 20, 2005 1:47 PM PST

I lik your ide about ?Editng post,?
Humerus sde.
It realy is how th mind fils in when somthg is msing.

-Kev

Collapse -
Thank you for the feedback.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 22, 2005 3:00 AM PST

While I know editing posts can be helpful for common errors, it can however be disastrous in producing reader and participant confusion. For instance: a discussion thread has taken its course with the mistakes already posted. Many people have posted their replies to the thread and it has become a full blown hot discussion. Then all of a sudden members start to edit their replies, even the thread starter decides to edit their post too! Think of the mass confusion these edits have just created for people who are either actively posting in the thread or reading it--the replies will be completely out of context and people won't know what has or hasn't been edited by the users.

I can understand if the edit are just for grammatical correction, but I know some users will take advantage of the editing capabilities to create mischief and intentional disrupt/spoil a perfectly good discussion with edits. So while editing message is ideal in a perfect world, the bad of it out weighs the good.

As discussed in the past, once history has been made--it sticks. So as it stands, it is very unlikely that we will ever allow editing of posts. I'm sorry and I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

-Lee

Collapse -
Lee
by tomron / January 9, 2006 1:36 PM PST

What you say makes perfect sense,in fact,it's quite analytical.

I wonder if there's any feasibility in this scenario.

In X amount of minutes where you can edit or delete your topic (unless someone else has added a reply, you can't delete or edit your topic)

This method probally would circumvent any abuse

I beleive this would be fair for all parties.

Just a thought,and thank you for your time,
Tom

Collapse -
Great suggestion Tom -- don't know how much of engineer task
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 11, 2006 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Lee

it will take, but I will definitely mention this to them. It maybe something of a lower priority, but at least it's there.

Regardless this will be on my wish list for the forums.

Thanks Tom!
-Lee

Collapse -
I second this idea!
by speleofool / February 1, 2006 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: Lee

I agree. I've now encountered two occasions where I've wanted to delete my own post, and both were dumb mistakes on my part that I caught immediately after posting. In one case, I intended to reply to someone else's message but hit the "reply to discussion" button so my reply ended up at the bottom of the page. I didn't catch this in the preview because I was looking at the content of my post and not where it was going. Happy

The other case was a bug in the preview that caused only part of my post to go through! Fortunately I looked at my post and caught the problem.

In either of these cases, I could have pulled the post myself and corrected the error without getting C|Net involved. The impact would have been minimal because few people, if anyone, would have had time to read my message and nobody would have had time to reply.

I don't know what the appropriate amount of time to allow would be (perhaps the forum owners could collect stats on the average time to elapse between a message posting and the first n readers), but certainly if nobody has read or replied to my message then there is no impact to the discussion by pulling the post. And certainly, if someone *has* responded then the better course of action is to follow up wih a clarification anyway, so I'd have no issue with the delete request being denied.

IMO, the toughest obstacles to implementing this would probably be (a) defining the amount of time allowed before a post may no longer be revoked, (b) preventing accidenal deletions, and (c) implementing a robust enough security measure to prevent people from deleting someone else's posts. Maybe a good solution to both B & C would be to require a user to reauthenticate (enter their password) to confirm deletion of a post, depending on how this fits within the existing forum framework. Presumably deleting a post would be infrequent enough that this would not be an unreasonable amount of effort to confirm a deletion, and it would also provide additional security for those working in a shared-computer type environment.

Just my $.02. Wink

Cheers!
Speleo.

Collapse -
defining the amount of time allowed before a post ...
by tomron / February 1, 2006 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: I second this idea!

may no longer be revoked.

This would be dictated by the fact when someone else has added a reply, you can't delete or edit your topic.

There's your time limit,it could be 1 minute or an hour or so.As long as no one has replyed.

Collapse -
Time limit for posts w/ no reply
by speleofool / February 2, 2006 4:50 AM PST

Realistically, I can see a case being made that it would be diruptive to a forum to remove a post after a lot of people had read it, even if no replies had been made. Personally, I think the impact would be much less than removing a post *with* replies (obviously!), but I'm not opposed to setting a "reasonable" time limit after which the right to revoke a post expires. The trick is definining what "reasonable" means, but I'll leave it up to the forum owners to collect some stats and figure out where to draw that line.

Cheers!
Speleo.

Collapse -
Third that?
by taboma / February 1, 2006 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: I second this idea!

speleofool, I wish that option were available sometimes.

Collapse -
Editing and confusion?
by taboma / January 11, 2006 1:40 PM PST

Thank you Lee. Nice suggestion!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Confusion:
by taboma / January 11, 2006 2:08 PM PST
In reply to: Editing and confusion?

Lee, Forgot to tell you that happened to a recent thread that I was involved in. It so was hard to follow with all the side tracks evolving. It was embarrassing for me to post anti-clockwise when the original poster had the info after all. Other times I have skipped down a link and posted equally embarrassing posts.
Would be helpful to retract your post on occasions. Or to correct it if you had a chance to. Even within ten seconds of a post.

-Kevin

Collapse -
There was a BB I used before that had that feature
by duckman / December 4, 2005 11:42 AM PST

It was good!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thats a double edged sword
by tomron / December 20, 2005 10:04 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.