General discussion

Editing in Windows Media Player

I use the column 'Parental Rating' as a facility to code my music per dance, (Ballroom or Latin American) e.g. WZ (Waltz), TAN (Tango), RUM (Rumba, WC (West Coast Swing). If I am ripping a large amount of music, I code them all as UNSORTED till I have time to sit and work them out. I often have the problem that WMP will not allow me to edit this column!!!! Other days I can just start up the computer and it does it at my request. What setting must I alter / change to make this work permanently? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Editing in Windows Media Player
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Editing in Windows Media Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry no.

I find Windows Media Player (WMP) to not be a friendly app. It's goals didn't mesh with mine as it wanted to rename and move files by default. MSFT has improved WMP but lost me years ago as WMP changed and tossed out my content from time to time.

I went back to simpler players and simple collections without using WMP. Fast forward to today and your complaint only adds another reason to find something else.
bob

- Collapse -
Let's pop the hood on what can be done with WMP.

First a link to the Windows Media Play Software Development Kit (WMP SDK). The link may wrap so copy/paste if a click fails.

-> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd758070(v=VS.85).aspx

The item listed Playlists and Metafiles are likely the areas you may want to explore first.

The only problem I see here is that MSFT tends to tinker with WMP so your solution today may fail tomorrow.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info