Video Cameras forum

General discussion

editing camcorder dvds

by pc2342 / October 8, 2005 10:44 PM PDT

I have a Sony Handycam which records on a mini dvd in a .vob format. The problem is finding an editing software that can safely pull in the video for editing. I've used Pinnacle Studio 9 but the audio/video get out of sync. I've tried to convert the source file from dvd to avi prior to importing into Pinnacle but it didn't help.

I recently purchased Sony's Movie Studio+DVD. It looks like I'm headed down the same path with them. I have unlock a key in order to import from a camcorder DVD just like Pinnacle.

I am running Windows XP on an 80 GB HD partitioned into multiple drives. The camcorder does not have a firewire nor does it support a firewire connection.

It seems the help I get from Pinnacle is cookie cutter and I'm just getting started with Sony.

Has anyone encountered this same issue? I really would love to get this working!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: editing camcorder dvds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: editing camcorder dvds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Define "safely" pull in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: editing camcorder dvds

I don't understand that term in this context.

Did you try the demo from ulead.com?

Bob

Collapse -
reply to dvd conversion
by pc2342 / October 22, 2005 9:33 AM PDT

''successfully'' would have been a better choice of words. The audio and video get out of sync on Pinnacle. I'm finding Sony has a much better application than Pinnacle.

At this point, I'm not sure what site I pulled the conversion software from. I've been in so many places.

I have not encountered the same issues with Sony.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Your conversion is probably dropping frames.
by Kiddpeat / October 9, 2005 12:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
.VOB format
by raffles88 / October 11, 2005 2:44 PM PDT

I have a Hitachi DVD camcorder. I've had it for a few years. I've wanted to throw it away so many times because I became so frustrated with the editing. The only editing program that I found that would work with .vob is ULEAD Moviefactory. Overall it's okay because it's the only one I could find that would work. The end result on the DVD is not very good - could be better. I know more companies are selling DVD camcorders and heard that one is selling HD camcorder. I'm looking for a good but inexpensive mini dv camcorder. The editing overall is easier and better. It will take awhile before the DVD editing catches up. I have so many DVD videos that I have not edited because it's time consuming and very difficult. Good luck!

Collapse -
.VOB to other formats.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2005 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: .VOB format

If you google VOB2AVI or other VOB CONVERTORS or even DVD RIPPING you find out how to convert that DVD to content you can use in other editors.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
reply to dvd2avi conv
by pc2342 / October 22, 2005 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: .VOB to other formats.

I've encountered issues converting my files with freeware -- at least as a trial method. Maybe because I'm rookie in the editing department there are elements I'm not aware of. Seems to me that those that advertise "simple click and go" should be pretty self explanatory.

I've had to ditch the pre-conversion mess and bought Sony Movie Studio + DVD. It seems to be much more capable than Pinnacle in the import arena; however, it is a much more complicated application. But it does the job.

Collapse -
try this
by sektionschef / October 22, 2005 8:45 PM PDT

Hi
If you want to cut out unwanted portions of your vob files and/or combine several vob files then no conversion to avi is required. The following procedure could be used:
-rename .vob to .mpg
-use pvastrumento(freeware) to demux the mpg into seperate audio(.ac3) and video(.mpv) files.
-use cuttermaran(freeware) to cut/combine the video
-use TMPGEnc DVD Author to reauthor a new 12cm DVD.
This procedure does not require the timeconsuming reencoding/rendering process as the footage always stays in mpeg2 format.

In case advanced editing is required then you need to convert to avi first:
-install a DV and AC3 codec(freeware, can be found on the internet) on your PC.
-use virtualdub(freeware) to load the vob file and save it as avi(by selecting the DV video compression).

Hope this helps
Sektionschef

Collapse -
look for my post on the thread editing MPEG2 video
by ar7499 / October 27, 2005 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: try this

I link to a good MPEG editor. VOB's are just MPEG2 files with a little extra info in them.

ar

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!