PC Applications forum

General discussion

Editing a Windows Picture and Fax Viewer photo

When I hit edit, MS Paint launches as the default editor. How do I (or can I) change it to Adobe Photoshop? I like P&F Viewer to scan photos, but it would be nice to open Photoshop as my editor.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Editing a Windows Picture and Fax Viewer photo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Editing a Windows Picture and Fax Viewer photo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Editing a Windows Picture and Fax Viewer photo

In reply to: Editing a Windows Picture and Fax Viewer photo

Find a picture file that you want Adobe Photoshop to open, right click it, then choose "Open with".

The next step depends upon which Windows OS you are using.

If Windows XP, a new menu will appear. Select Choose program. In the dialogue window that appears scrol down and highlight Adobe Photoshop. Make sure the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is ticked, then click OK.

If Windows 9x or ME, you will go straight to the Open with dialogue window.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Editing a Windows Picture and Fax Viewer photo

I know, I just wanted to change the edit button on the Picture and Fax viewer from Paint, thanks.

Collapse -

In reply to: Editing a Windows Picture and Fax Viewer photo

Left click Start-My Computer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types-JPG

This window says Opens with Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer. DO NOT click the Change button. Go to the bottom of this window and click Advanced.

In this new window, under Actions, click Open, to higlight it, then click Edit. In Application Used to Perform This Action: Delete the path that is showing and enter the path to the program you want to open when you click the Edit button.

In my case I changed it to
"C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe"

Repeat as needed for other file types JPEG, JPE, etc.

Now when I click on a JPG file, it opens in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as usual. But when I click Edit while in this program, it opens in Irfanview instead of Paint.

P.S. Before you delete the original path, you may want to copy and paste it to notepad, and save it as a text file in your Documents with a name you recognize, in case you ever want to change it back.

Collapse -
CORRECTION

In reply to: Re: Editing a Windows Picture and Fax Viewer photo

I was also looking for a way to do this and although the above reply did not work for me, it did help me figure it out so thanks to sheilakmcd for taking the time to explain. And if you want it to work do what it says EXCEPT do not click on 'Open' as this will just make your new program open any time you click on that file type. My computer only had 'Open' and 'Print to' as options and you do now want either one of these but don't panic. What you want to do is click 'New'. You will now see 2 boxes. The top one says 'Action'. In this box type 'edit'. Then hit browse and find the execution file of the program you want to edit with and it will put its path in the bottom box automatically. Click ok and your done. It will now open with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer but transfer to your selected program rather than Paint when you hit the edit button.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.