PC Hardware forum

General discussion

ECC or NON-ECC??

by unicornb2 / February 11, 2004 11:43 PM PST

I have encountered a puzzler.

The Asus SK8V motherboard was designed for the AMD Athlon64 FX-51 processor. Here's the problem: The registered, tested and recommended memory for the MB is non-ecc. The processor requires ecc memory.

What do I do? I suppose I should go with ecc since I plan to fill all of the dual slots with memory. Correct? Not correct?

I'm confoozled!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ECC or NON-ECC??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ECC or NON-ECC??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:ECC or NON-ECC?? Something's odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2004 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: ECC or NON-ECC??
Collapse -
Re:Re:ECC or NON-ECC?? Something's odd.
by unicornb2 / February 12, 2004 1:16 AM PST

Thanks for responding.

The system isn't built yet. I ran across this conundrum while researching for my rebuild.

So, since I am responsible for whether or not things work together, I wanted to get some help with this before I spend a good chunk of money.

If a person could ever get a response from Asus, I'd ask them. I sent them an email 2 years ago and haven't heard anything yet.

I guess the question is : What would the average computer genius use? ECC or NON_ECC?

Uni

Collapse -
Why not read the manual?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2004 1:34 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:ECC or NON-ECC?? Something's odd.
by JMarchi / February 12, 2004 10:31 PM PST

Almost no one uses ECC memory these days, the chance is one in many million that you will ever benefit from it's error correction. It is capable of correcting single bit errors which are usually caused by being bombarded by cosmic rays/noise, an extremely rare situation. Now it could also correct memory errors caused by bad memory, but in that case you are going to need to replace the memory anyway.

The only time ECC is really needed is with mission critical servers.

Collapse -
Re:ECC or NON-ECC??
by Willy / February 12, 2004 8:28 AM PST

If you truly have "alot" of memory, then using ECC type makes sense. Understand, those that use ECC type memory are more "server" usage or business apps, in general and those usually ship with ECC type memory. For the typical home user it isn't needed or required. ECC just gives more room for "error correction" in intense demanding apps or math dependant usage. Of course, if the system can'r be started w/o ECC installed that pretty makes everything mute, just install it. In most cases it is an "option" that can be installable, but *all* must then be ECC type in order to work properly.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
memory
by bootleggerxxx / December 18, 2005 10:22 PM PST

Both the SK8V & Sk8N require Registered ECC DDR memory. It has to be Registered ECC for any socket 940 AMD M/B.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.