General discussion

Eat your vegetables?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Eat your vegetables?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Eat your vegetables?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The "gottcha" clause of life

If it isn't one thing it's another.

- Collapse -
This whole incident has confused me no end!

I always thought that E. coli was transmitted through eating uncooked meat, eg by re-heating chicken, or by not being sufficiently hygienic when preparing meat.

"E. coli is short for Escherichia coli. It is a type of bacterium present in the gut of humans and other animals.", from that link.

So where do infected vegetables come into this?

They keep looking for infected vegetables, the latest is beansprouts, but should the not be looking at food preparation?

But now I see that, ""They (e. coli) can survive in soil environments and fertiliser may be one source for the origin of the outbreak." Is that new, or has e. coli always been able to survive outside of the body?

Mark

- Collapse -
It's a bit out of my expertise, but

I don't think it's new. It's just getting more press because there are some newer strains of E. coli that are considerably more toxic than the older strains. The whole hemolytic/uremic business is nasty.

There are other concerns about fruit/vegetable cultivation as well. Unfortunately, hand hygiene in the people who work the fields is not always great. E. coli mostly comes from fecal contamination. People work in the fields without adequate sanitary facilities and may not wash their hands. 'Nuf said. Some farms use manure for fertilizer. That would be a potential source for E. coli. There are lots of possibilities.

- Collapse -
Out houses?

Where do you think the field workers pee and drop a lot when they are in the middle of a field? Run all the way back to a restroom? Nope.

- Collapse -
(NT) That was my point.
- Collapse -
"pee and drop a lot" is not the problem

it's a "black/grey water" ratio problem

in a nutshell.... the closer the fruit/veg is to the ground, the less black/grey water
and the more fresh/drinking water you use

black/grey water is cheap......

CNET Forums