Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Cameras forum

General discussion

Easyshare software

by NoRespectForNoRespect / March 27, 2007 2:53 PM PDT

I have a Kodak V610 camera and it seems the only way I can get pictures off of the memory card is with a USB cable and the Easyshare software. I think the software SUCKS! It takes up so much ram that my entire computer slows down, and still its so slow. Another thing, I transfered pictures from the memory card using the software, but now it seems I can't put them back on the memory card. The software doesn't let you move pictures back to the memory card.

Is there a way to make it so that perhaps a hard drive icon, or a memory icon, or something shows up under "My Computer" so that I can just access the memory card from there? Then I would be able to do whatever I want.

*No, I'm not going to buy a media card reader.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Easyshare software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Easyshare software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I use a media card reader.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2007 9:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Easyshare software

It was 10 bucks and worth it.

Bob

Collapse -
Kodak Software
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 28, 2007 12:29 AM PDT

I have played around with the Kodak software and finally removed it from my computer. To many problems.

But....it is not the software that prevents you from writing to your camera on the USB cable.
It is the camera.
The camera makers do not want you to be able to write to the camera.
So their camera firmware does not permit it.

If you want to write to a memory card....you can use a card reader/writer.
I just bought one for a friend at "Big Lots" for $12.
If you have Windows XP, the drivers are build-into XP.
Use Windows Explorer to copy photos from the card to your computer.
Windows sees the card reader as being another Hard Drive.

Collapse -
Memory card reader; media card reader; are they the same?
by Big Steve / March 31, 2007 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Kodak Software

I purchased a digicam off of Ebay which arrived yesterday in excellent condition. The only accessory which was not included in the box was a USB cable which would allow me to connect the camera directly to my computer to load my pics into my computer which has no media card reader.

Someone told me not to do this because it would drain the camera's battery down. They suggested I purchase either a memory card reader or a media card reader which would connect directly to my computer by USB cable and I would remove the camera's card; insert it into this reader and load my pics that way. Is this device which I'm to use a memory card reader or a media card reader and are they rated by different sizes such as a camera's SD card? The camera is a Panasonic. Are these readers very expensive?

Big Steve
03/31/07

Collapse -
Memory Card Reader
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 31, 2007 1:29 PM PDT

Big Steve

What you want is a device that connects to your computer with a USB cable. You insert your camera's memory card in the device.

Your computer will see the memory card reader as being a new hard drive.

Windows XP does not need special drivers for memory card readers.
XP has the drivers already and will automatically load them when you plug-in the memory card reader.

Windows 98 will need drivers.
Windows 98 drivers will either come with the memory card reader or
will provide a place to download the drivers from the internet.

Use Windows Explorer to copy the photos from the memory card onto your computer.

Memory card readers can be found at any place that sells digital cameras.
They are priced from $10 to about $30.
Some only read one type of card.
Most will read many types of cards.
If your computer has USB2, you should make sure the memory card reader is also rated for USB2.

Here is a look at different types of memory card readers:

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=64

Collapse -
Re: Memory Card Reader
by Big Steve / March 31, 2007 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Memory Card Reader

Snapshot2:

The camera is a Panasonic DMC-FZ20S and the manufacturer informed me that this model camera uses an "SD" type memory card. As for the computers; I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 notebook and a Dell Dimension 3100 desktop; both have Windows XP. So would both of these computers come equipped with the type of USB connection you were talking about? How would I check? Thank you for your post.

Big Steve
04/01/07

Collapse -
USB connections
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 1, 2007 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Memory Card Reader

Both of your computers will have one or more USB2 connectors.

The desktop computer will likely have connectors on the front and in the back. You can use any one.

Here is a link that shows what a USB plug and connector looks like:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/usb.htm

The connector is a rectangular socket that is approx 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch.

Collapse -
Re: USB connections
by Big Steve / April 1, 2007 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: USB connections

And the item which I need to buy is a "memory" card reader rather than a "media" card reader? Someone else mentioned "media" card reader earlier in this thread. I just wanted to be clear on which one to buy unless they are one and the same. Thank you for your post.

Big Steve
04/01/07

Collapse -
Card Reader
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 1, 2007 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: USB connections

Memory Card Reader - Media Card Reader
All the same.

You can go to any store that sells digital cameras and ask the clerk in the camera department for a memory card reader, that will read a SD memory card.

They will know what you want, and will likely have several to choose from.

Collapse -
Re: Card Reader
by Big Steve / April 2, 2007 7:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Card Reader

Thanks for the post.

Big Steve
04/03/07

Collapse -
Kodak Camera
by LsuEduMsn / April 2, 2007 11:15 PM PDT

I had the same problem with my new Kodak. But after unplugging the USB Camera cable, a reboot, then turning the Camera on, plugging the USB cable in hot, the hardware was auto installed by XP.

Then using Windows Explorere and also the GOOGLE Picasa both worked perfect to transfer the photos to the PC.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!