HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Easy Way To Remove

by moranacus / April 14, 2008 4:18 AM PDT

Is there an easy way to remove Internet Explorer????
I no longer use it because it got corrupted and have been using the
Firefox Browser for several months.
If not, I will have a tech remove it when I get a new power supply installed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Easy Way To Remove
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Easy Way To Remove
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You should alway keep Internet Explorer
by PudgyOne / April 14, 2008 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Easy Way To Remove

even if you don't use it. First, you didn't mention your operatins systen and version of Internet Explorer. If Vista, it has to be IE7. If XP, then it can be 7 or under. I use 6. If you have 7, you can go back to 6 by going to control panel, add/remove programs, show updates, remove internet Explorer, it will prompt you that these programs were installed and may not work properly, click ok and follow the instructions. When you restart your computer, you'll be back to IE6.

If you need Internet Explorer fixed, try using IE Fix.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

IE shouldn't be corrupt and work now.

Rick

Collapse -
Your post is incomplete.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 5:11 AM PDT

I can't tell if you could kill it with IEradicator. Try telling more next time.

Collapse -
I Use
by moranacus / April 14, 2008 6:46 AM PDT

I have Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Its the latest verison of Internet Explorer that came before version 7.
What would happen if I did remove it. Would it delete all the bookmarks from the folder FROM INTERNET EXPLORER in Firefox????
I don't want it fixed!!!!
The FIREFOX browser is alot more safer and has less problems.

Collapse -
It won't erase the bookmarks in Firefox but...
by PudgyOne / April 14, 2008 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: I Use

you should always have it. There are some websites that don't work with Firefox. It's not a very good idea to completely remove it,My honest opinion.

Rick

Collapse -
Well If
by moranacus / April 14, 2008 7:12 AM PDT

Well, if there happens to be a site that you can only use INTERNET EXPLORER I just won't go there. All the bookmarks I use accept the FIREFOX BROWSER.

Collapse -
So you don't use Windows Update?
by Kees Bakker / April 14, 2008 7:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Well If

That's a bad idea.

Kees

Collapse -
Removing IE
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 7:33 PM PDT

It is very difficult to remove IE completely from any Windows Operating System because it is integrated into the system. Removing any parts of it could render the OS unusable.

You can simply ignore it. It will sit happily on the hard drive, unused, forever if you wish. But since you may need IE sometimes for Windows Updates, or the occasional web site that doesn't work with Firefox, would it not be better to fix it and have it handy for whenever you may need it?

Why not tell us what problems you have been having with it.

Also, tell us more about your system and the utilities you use to protect your computer from hackers, viruses and spyware.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.