Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Easy Way?

by Paul Roantree / October 8, 2005 6:06 PM PDT

To establish a Desktop link to the Forums?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Easy Way?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Easy Way?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Create a shortcut....
by Papa Echo / October 8, 2005 6:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Easy Way?

If you have Internet Explorer, have the forum page loaded, go to the File menu, and Send--> send shortcut to desktop. Alternatively,and with other browsers, you can bookmark the web site, then create a shortcut to the bookmark/favorite file(or a copy of it) and place it at the desktop. Most probably, the forum page will open with your default browser.

Collapse -
Unfortunately
by Paul Roantree / October 8, 2005 8:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Create a shortcut....

This is more difficult than it appears. Both in Opera and Firefox, there is no obvious way to do this. I have tried creating a shortcut from desktop, dragging and dropping, copying from bookmarks, copy and paste, print screen and copy/paste, snapshot copy, and none of these provide a one click solution, i.e. create an icon that is browser based. I know it is possible, but I am continuing to search for a solution.

Collapse -
One click
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 8, 2005 8:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Unfortunately

Hi Paul.

Are you saying that ''none'' of your icons on your desktop are one click? It would be strange if one isn't but the rest are.

To make your desktop behave like a web page, (ie, one click), goto Folder Options, (Windows Explorer, Tools > Folder options), and under the General tab under ''Click items as follows'', select ''Single-click to open an item (point to select)", and either of the sub-options underneath. Click Apply, then OK.

That way, all desktop icons become single click, as do Windows Explorer files and folders and many other dialogues, (such as Save As, etc).

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Misunderstanding
by Paul Roantree / October 8, 2005 8:40 PM PDT
In reply to: One click

Hi Mark,
I did not explain myself clearly. I want an icon on my desktop which refers me directly to the Forums. When I said single click that is what I was referring to. Currently, I have to open Firefox with one click and then the Forums with another click. I want the forums accessile with one click from my desktop. Not so easy.

Collapse -
BTW
by Paul Roantree / October 8, 2005 8:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Misunderstanding

I did this on anther o/s, but have forgotten how I did it, or the browser settings have altered recently.
Paul

Collapse -
Yes I see what you mean.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 8, 2005 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Misunderstanding

However, it works for me, PapaEcho's suggestion.

In IE, get the full forums page, and goto File > Send > Shortcut to Desktop.

This will, (I just did it), send a file to your desktop which is single click. Mine had no icon, (strangely), so I just opened it's properties and changed the icon.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OK in Explorer, but what about Firefox!!!
by Paul Roantree / October 8, 2005 10:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
IE
by Paul Roantree / October 8, 2005 10:27 PM PDT

Hi Mark, I should have explained I only use IE for Windows Updates.
Paul

Collapse -
IE
by jam4201 / October 8, 2005 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: IE

Paul, use IE to make the shortcut then use Firefox for anything else. The shortcut will still be on your desktop and will take you to the forum no matter what browser you use. :o)

Collapse -
The shortcut I made using IE
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 8, 2005 10:48 PM PDT

Opens in Firefox, my default browser.

Mark

Collapse -
try this
by jonah jones / October 8, 2005 9:14 PM PDT

in firefox
go to the cnet forums page
right click
save page as
give it a name
save to desktop

it'll have the fire fox icon, but i expect you can change it if it bothers you Wink

jonah

Collapse -
genius Jonah
by Paul Roantree / October 8, 2005 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: try this

By gum, he's cracked it!!! Thanks, I even tried associating programs in folder types under 'folder options' to no avail. Thank you very very much. And BTW I wanted the FF icon. It's got a page behind it to differentiate from FF. Thanks to all.

Paul

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad you got it sorted Paul
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 8, 2005 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: genius Jonah
Collapse -
Thanks. I should have thought of that !
by Papa Echo / October 8, 2005 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: try this

Went to the forum page using Firefox. I did it from the File menu but it was the "e" icon that appeared, probably because I have IE as the default browser.

Collapse -
Addendum...but.... !
by Papa Echo / October 8, 2005 11:19 PM PDT

..that desktop link won't open the current page - it is only a ''saved page''(an html document) located at the ''desktop folder''. Therefore, once opened, it has to be refreshed, only then, will the site be connected. Wondered why I haven't thought of it before. Now, I know. Saved page is not quite the same as shortcut link to that page. However, the procedure solves the problem, although not the way intended.

I have been experimenting, including creating an HTML document ( <a href= ''.....''> ) but was not able to place a shortcut link to a web page on the desktop while with the Firefox browser. Perhaps that is not possible -- If you open up the Favorites folder for IE, the shortcuts are in the form of icons, whereas for Firefox, it is text based hyper links.

(Some thoughts only.)

Collapse -
It's interesting
by Paul Roantree / October 8, 2005 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Addendum...but.... !

I found that also. What I find surprising is that there are as yet no found extensions in FF to be able to do something which should really be very simple. I might have a go on the Mozillazine Forums later on to check this one. Thnaks Papa.
Paul

Collapse -
link won't open the current page
by jonah jones / October 9, 2005 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Addendum...but.... !

that could be a 'problem' if you wanted a specific forum, but i thought that as long as the adverts aren't the aim ;-).....

jonah

Collapse -
although having had second thoughts
by jonah jones / October 9, 2005 12:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Well, if...
by Papa Echo / October 9, 2005 1:06 AM PDT

the Main ''Welcome to CNet forums'' page is saved to the desktop, then it matters not, unless new forum categories are introduced. However the ''save as'' is saved as an html document and only ''current'' at the time of saving ? It opens as a document (consisting of a saved web page, with clickable links to the web.) rather than an actual web page ? Oh ! well, I suppose it doesn't matter. The important thing is to get some ''link'' to the desktop for the Firefox browser to open a web page, and we have achieved that !

Collapse -
i just checked the "forum ID" link
by jonah jones / October 9, 2005 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, if...

i posted before, and it opens the page "as it is now" and not "as was"

hehehe..... we'all is geniusessssssssss Happy

jonah

Collapse -
Another solution...
by John.Wilkinson / October 9, 2005 1:51 AM PDT

Load the website of your choice (in this case which ever forum you prefer, or the mainpage), then "restore" Firefox so that you can view the browser and your desktop at the same time. Just to the left of the "http" in your address bar is an icon...no, I'm not nuts (well, at least that's what they said when they released me ;)), it's there...it's just that Cnet doesn't utilize this feature, so it's blank. Click the invisible icon and drag it to your desktop and a link to that page will be created. Just remember that it will take the icon of and load in your default browser.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. If you right-click the shortcut, select "properties," and select the "web document" tab you can set a shortcut key combination that will automatically launch the site for you in your browser. That way you don't have to minimize all of your open windows to view your desktop and double-click the icon. Happy

Collapse -
That Works!
by Paul Roantree / October 9, 2005 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Another solution...

And is also valuable information for other we pages. Very clever to know about invisible icons. BTW Have added one since, ON DESKTOP. Thank you.

Paul

Collapse -
Well...... I'm impressed!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 4:55 AM PDT

Where did you dig that out from John? I never knew that, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Wow !
by Papa Echo / October 9, 2005 8:02 AM PDT

Invisible icon ! and I thought I have a perfect solution :

? create an icon sized image,
? create a simple web page with that image as a hyperlink to the forum page.
? right click the image and "save target as"....to the desktop.

There actually is a tool tip about dragging and dropping a link if the mouse cursor is placed at the left of the URL at Firefox- with some pages, there is an icon, but not with CNet -so never paid any attention to it until now. Thanks for sharing !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.