Laptops forum

General discussion

Easy Access to Memory on the DV1000?

by AirElPaso / November 5, 2004 7:04 AM PST

I was just curious on how easy it is to install extra memory on the HP DV1000. i.e. Ordering a laptop w/ only 256MB and adding a stick of 512MB. Thanks for your time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Easy Access to Memory on the DV1000?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Easy Access to Memory on the DV1000?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Easy Access to Memory on the DV1000?
by KenSanramon / November 5, 2004 7:23 AM PST

I will have to go to Circuit City and see how the new HP DV1000 (with the CD/DVD functions with the notebook turned off and the built in remote control - however integrated/shared video memory) works for the RAM.

On the HPZT3000 / Compaq X1000 I have (which is a Pentium M notebook also but with a 15.4" widescreen and dedicated video RAM) there is 1 easy to access slot under the notebook. It is labeled RAM and you just remove a screw, pop off the cover, click in the RAM the correct direction(while grounded or touching a large metal object) and you are done. The 2nd RAM slot (populated by HP/Compaq first if only 1 RAM slot used) is under the keyboard so you can access that but only by removing the keyboard which is more complicated.

However, the DV1000 may be different.

I will try to go to Circuit City this weekend or if anyone knows post the answer.

I assume, however, that at least the 2nd slot should be easily accessible for the user and yes you can easily pop in PC2700 (333mhz) notebook RAM 512mb for under 100 after rebate when on sale.

I put in Kingston for 69.99 after rebate at Fry's Electronics (sale price). Crucial RAM is $110.00 or so plus shipping I think. Check for Kingston or Centon on sale at Best buy or Circuit City (PC2700 notebook RAM not desktop) -- or see outpost.com -- (Fry's website)-- they usually have a brand on there for 99.99 that is decent but you would add shipping to that also.

Also, you can go to X1000forum.com and go to the upgrades section and there is a pinned topic at the top for current RAM memory deals -- you should be using the same memory as we use on the ZT3000/X1000 for now.

Collapse -
by Qvn98 / November 5, 2004 2:09 PM PST

Did you get the DV1000 already? I was wondering if there was a heat problem at the palm/keyboard area with this computer. Pleasele me know. Thanks in advance KenSanramon for the leg work to Circuit that you are doing for the DV1000. Much appreciate it.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 8, 2004 2:53 AM PST

I went to Best Buy on Sunday. Yes, the HP DV1000 series (prebuilt versions in the store -- some with DV DVD burner, some without, make sure you get one with the Briteview LCD as cheap prebuilt models near $1000 don't have it (only $50 more to custom order on hpshopping over standard XGA LCD).

This is the same as the Compaq X1000 series / HPZT30000 series I have in that it has 1 RAM slot easily accessible under the notebook -- the 1st one is under the keyboard and most people would not want to mess with that one (and this will be the one populated first if you order 256mb 1 stick or 512mb 1 stick).

So, you will have no problem adding on RAM later yourself if you make sure you only order RAM 1 stick from HP/Compaq.

This is a very slick notebook and the only thing it does not have is dedicated video memory for gaming.

Note, however, that the 14" widescreen will display a standard square webpage at 13" or slightly smaller.

That is the same thing that happens on the 15.4" widescreen but in that case the square image is equivalant to about a 14" LCD.

But the wide view you get on excel spreadsheets and DVD's (and this has the instant on DVD/CD and remote) are outstanding.

And, the weight is 5.3 pounds (ZT3000/X1000 is 6.5 pounds).

Make sure you try out the keyboard though as it is likely the keys are smaller and more tightly packed. I did not get a chance to try the DV1000 keyboard but I really like the X1000/ZT3000.

Collapse -
by AirElPaso / November 8, 2004 7:04 AM PST

Sweet!! Thanks for doing the footwork and checking that out. I really appreciate it!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.