The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Earth Hour 2008

by z3ro1 / March 13, 2008 11:49 PM PDT

On 31 March 2007, 2.2 million people and 2100 Sydney businesses turned off their lights for one hour - Earth Hour. If the greenhouse reduction achieved in the Sydney CBD during Earth Hour was sustained for a year, it would be equivalent to taking 48,616 cars off the road for a year.

This year Earth Hour is on 29 March 2008 at 8pm, and it looks like it's going to be a global event. So far, as well as Sydney, there'll also be Adelaide, Atlanta, Bangkok, Brisbane, Canberra, Chicago, Christchurch, Copenhagen, Dublin, Manila, Melbourne, Montreal, Odense, Ottawa, Perth, Phoenix, San Francisco, Suva, Tel Aviv, Toronto and Vancouver all turning off their lights for an hour in the name of fighting global warming. And I'm sure there'll be more cities by March. Sign up for Earth Hour with me by visiting http://www.earthhour.org/user/qxEV and join the movement.

I remember hearing about this last year and I thought it sounded pretty cool and only takes an hour of your day.

Thanks all.
Paul the Peruvian from Chicago.

http://www.earthhour.org/user/qxEV

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Earth Hour 2008
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Earth Hour 2008
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) R-o-c-k O-n! What a great idea...
by shawnlin / March 14, 2008 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Earth Hour 2008
Collapse -
Reminder
by z3ro1 / March 27, 2008 11:10 PM PDT

Saturday March 29th 2008 @ 8:00 P.M. is Earth Hour. Please do a little bit for the Earth.

Collapse -
link not working, please go here.
by z3ro1 / March 27, 2008 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Reminder
Collapse -
I live in Sydney and was a part of that...
by Nicholas Buenk / March 27, 2008 11:29 PM PDT

Nice to see it's going world wide.

Collapse -
Gay
by PortVista-190953130350169 / March 28, 2008 12:22 AM PDT

This is so gay.

Collapse -
?
by Nicholas Buenk / March 28, 2008 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Gay

You are what, a 5 year old who hates the Earth?

Collapse -
Pointless
by PortVista-190953130350169 / March 28, 2008 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: ?

It's pointless and almost as annoying as spam. Turning the lights off for an hour saves maybe .2 kw/hr which is about 2 cents of energy. I'm sure you'll keep the AC running at 72F degrees during this. If I just hold a fart in for an hour I'm probably doing more to save the planet.

Collapse -
Err...
by Nicholas Buenk / March 28, 2008 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Pointless

It's the symbolism that's the point.
General population showing their willingness to get a little less comfortable to save the earth.

Collapse -
Kinda Equivalent To
by chrisemcleod / March 28, 2008 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Err...

'kissing The Ring' In The Godfather?

Collapse -
by hosko / March 28, 2008 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Pointless

Your a knob, so one household saves .2kw/hr if they turn the lights off. Sure not much but when you have 2 million people doing the same thing that's 400,000kw/hr

Collapse -
Lighting doesn't use that much energy
by PortVista-190953130350169 / March 29, 2008 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

I understand it's supposed to create awareness, but lighting is less than 1% of your household energy use. Lighting is probably the last thing to think about when conserving energy.

Collapse -
Rush
by FredAgain / March 28, 2008 9:09 AM PDT

I happened to tune in Rush Limbaugh today and they were talking about this and recommending to turn on every light in your house during that time, to protest the (paraphrasing) "lie that is global warming".

Collapse -
even if one didnt agree with Rush
by chrisemcleod / March 28, 2008 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Rush

They should seriously take a long hard look at the mafia that is the earth movement. It is a concerted effort to *force* people to their way of thinking. That (in some ways, by definition) IS mafia.

While these folks distance them selves from radical groups which spike logs and burn down houses, they secretly admire their guts in the name of their "just cause".

I and my family have been reducing-reusing-recycling for years, but its not because someone twisted our arms. If some arm twisting "needs" to be done, contact manufacturers directly; buy from manufacturers who use less packaging; etc. Go to the source, but stop trying to shame people into doing it.

As the old adage goes "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still".

My 2 cents.

Christopher

Collapse -
Well...
by Nicholas Buenk / March 28, 2008 10:27 PM PDT

Companies only respond to the market place, people are just as responsible as manufacturers. Without customers, companies go out of business, if customers are determined to get their way they can.
People need to encouraged to act responsibly.

Collapse -
I turned out my lights...
by paintguru / March 31, 2008 1:36 AM PDT

...because I went out to dinner. Of course I left my 250W aquarium light on :).

Collapse -
Suckers!
by PortVista-190953130350169 / March 31, 2008 1:44 AM PDT

HAHA! I turned on MORE lights just to cancel out some of the people turning off their lights. Suckers!

Collapse -
(NT) Why would you do that????
by Nicholas Buenk / March 31, 2008 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Suckers!
Collapse -
Earth Hour police?
by PortVista-190953130350169 / March 31, 2008 2:40 AM PDT

What are you the Earth Hour police? You know you have to tell me if you are, or it's entrapment!

Collapse -
It bothers me...
by Nicholas Buenk / March 31, 2008 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Earth Hour police?

That you would be so irresponsible, is all. Silly

Collapse -
To mr_yosa. Post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 24, 2010 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Suckers!

Off topic post. Please stay on-topic.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?