Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Earphones,Headphones not workin when connectd to speaker

by raks1991 / March 21, 2007 5:30 AM PDT

This isnt a question relatd 2 operatin system but il b glad if sumone helps using vista ultimate.when i connect my earphones or headphones to the speakers nothing comes of it.absolutely mute.this is not related 2 vista as i had same problem in xp.the speakers are absolutely workin and d headphones and earphones work welll when connected to any other device except computer problem wid any of the hardware.can play sound when headphones not connected to speakers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Earphones,Headphones not workin when connectd to speaker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Earphones,Headphones not workin when connectd to speaker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Muted earphones.
by Papa Echo / March 21, 2007 10:53 PM PDT

Two places where the fault may be:

The phone "socket" at the speakers and the "plug" of the earphone. They may not fit properly. Try pulling out the plug slightly or not pushing it in all the way, or giggle it a bit, etc. and see if it works. Try another pair of earphones. Else the "socket" may be broken (contacts rusted, worn, or electric contact cannot be made).

Collapse -
by raks1991 / March 21, 2007 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Muted earphones.

I hav tried wid more than 7 earphones.I tried insertin d headphones a little inside and slightly pullin them out.Nothin worked.Checked d sockets not rusted.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / March 22, 2007 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: NOTHIN WORKED looks like the speaker->earphone link is broken. Need to get it tested by an electronics technician. BTW, when the earphone is inserted, do sounds still come off the speakers ? What type of speakers- stereo, or a woofer as part of a sound system ? Did you use a pair of earphones (stereo) or a single earphone (mono) ?

Collapse -
no sound
by raks1991 / March 22, 2007 6:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Then...

No sound dosent come out when earphones is connected to he speakers.Also I can use Speech Reconition system using a microphone connection to the speaker.There IS A separate wire for microphone and for headphones.But the microphone works just fine.

Collapse -
no mono
by raks1991 / March 22, 2007 6:54 PM PDT
In reply to: no sound

I dont use mono earphones

Collapse -
Speaker system setup....
by Papa Echo / March 23, 2007 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: no sound

Do you have two speakers,(which are connected to "audio output" of rthe computer, and the earphone socket is on one of the speakers ? Where is the microphone socket situated ? Is there a switch by which you use to switch on the earphones ?

As I see it, there is a "break in the circuit", and this need to be tested by a technician.

Collapse -
2 Speakers
by rakshithraor / March 23, 2007 4:37 AM PDT

Ya thats right,2 speakers,earphone socket on one of the speakers,It is switched on by an adapter connected to a different plug.No button in the earphones to turn it on.

Collapse -
One, don't know of any "speaker output"
by Ray Harinec / March 23, 2007 4:31 AM PDT

Only know of Line out which goes to a set of Powered speakers. The audio amplifier is in the speaker set [the sound card or chip simply cannot provide enough power to run the speakers].

What type of headphones do you have? Some type require a small dc voltage to run. Line out does not provide that, its about half a volt audio [ac] at 1000 Hz.

10 years ago some sound cards had power amps, but very low power.

Collapse -
No sound from earphones.
by Papa Echo / March 23, 2007 6:09 PM PDT

I have one of those. It is marked with the symbol of a headphone, which if plugged in, muted the sound of the speakers. The set of a pair of speakers -powered by USB and with its own amplifier, is itself plugged into the "audio output"(line out). In this case there is enough power to drive the earphones, which works via the audio amplifier of the speakers, i.e. the circuit which drives the earphones rather than the speakers. This circuit incoporates a contact switch at the earphone socket which breaks the speakers circuit, and opens the earphone circuit when the earphones set is plugged in, thus mutting the speakers. I just wonder whether the circuit which drives the earphones is broken. However, if the set of earphones is "not compatible", i.e. its "impedence" is so high so as to result in a sound so weak that nothing can be heard.

Collapse -
Internal Sound is working but no sound in head phones
by abhiiram4u / June 7, 2008 11:31 AM PDT

hi i am using vista. i connect to headphones there is sound speakers is working well. my restart somany times and connect to head phones but there is no sound.Internal Sound is working but no sound for headphones .plz send me reply urgent

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?