MacBooks forum

Question

Early 2009 17in Macbook Pro Unibody - wi-fi crashes

Hi everyone,

<div>I'm hoping someone here can help me out with my sick Macbook Pro. I have an early 2009, 17" MBP with the 2.66 GHz Core2Duo processor, 4GB ram.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Early 2009 17in Macbook Pro Unibody - wi-fi crashes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Early 2009 17in Macbook Pro Unibody - wi-fi crashes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I see several problems here

In reply to: Early 2009 17in Macbook Pro Unibody - wi-fi crashes

I see several problems here.

First of which is you bought a third party display assembly and installed that. I could give a gerbil's rear whether or not some website claims it will work with your specific model system, having had years of experience repairing Apple systems, I can tell you that they are VERY finely tuned. Maybe a little too much so, but that's not something we have any control over. The power conduits on the MLB are designed specifically to provide just enough power for the maximum CTO options for the unit, nothing more.

Moving along, checking with the service manual for the Early 09 17" MBP, the airport card is located under the display clutch cover, and that means that the webcam/airport data cable should be a single part of the display assembly itself and not something you can just replace. So that makes me wonder if maybe you're misidentifying your particular model or if this "upgraded" display assembly is not just some dumpster dived display of questionable quality, but a completely third party product. If that's the case, there's no telling whether or not the airport card will work with that particular cable. I also know that with the "official" Apple parts, you have to be very careful to get those cables in the right way. They have special grounding points on one side, which your display may be lacking, and is allowing a lot of interference into the signal stream.

Then I don't see any details about how you went about doing the repair. While it's rare, if you don't disconnect the battery while messing with the LVDS or data cable, it's possible to send a surge up the line. As long as the battery is connected, and has a charge, there is live current running through the MLB. You could damage the display assy, the airport card which is in the display assy, and even cause a feedback loop damaging the MLB.

The fact that the keyboard backlight doesn't work anymore might suggest that this new display is trying to draw too much power, and even though the keyboard backlight doesn't need much, the display is taking just enough. Or, while trying to install the display assy, you pulled the MLB even though you didn't need to, and then didn't reconnect the flex cable for the keyboard backlight.

Now that we have all the facts out of the way, the part about how the unit appears to function more or less correctly without the airport card points the finger pretty squarely at either this "upgraded" display being a complete POS, or that you've damaged the MLB.

If you put back the original display panel, does the problem go away? If yes, your display is the problem, and if no then you probably damaged the MLB and you'll be lucky if all you damaged was the data port for the display assy.

Collapse -
Answer
Sad to read that.

In reply to: Early 2009 17in Macbook Pro Unibody - wi-fi crashes

Maybe one can try some USB WIFI stick and remove failing wifi?

What's sad is to fix this you will likely end up at the Apple repair and it will cost more than it would have if you had taken it there first.

That's my only idea. Try some other wifi device.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.