HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

EA Download Manager Install Problem, Please Help

by The_Iceman13 / September 16, 2008 7:01 AM PDT

If anyone can help me with this problem I would be very grateful. I bought the Pre-Load of Spore online through the EA Store a few days before the game was launched but was unable to install the Download Manager. When I try to install, it gets to the point where I specify where to install on the hard drive and then two error messages pop up.

First: "CreateCacheDir(): Couldn't grant full access to: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EADM\chache"

Then: "Couldn't set CachePath reg key!"

I'm using XP and tried all the suggestions customer service e-mailed to me (empty TEMP, end processes, turn off security software, run spyware scans, etc...)

Any advice would be great.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EA Download Manager Install Problem, Please Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EA Download Manager Install Problem, Please Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Widely discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2008 7:32 AM PDT

EA's DRM is causing many posts like this. Ask for fix or refund.

I have an idea you could read about XP TAKE OWNERSHIP on google but EA should guide you on if that will help when you take ownership of the EADM and the other subdirectories there.

Bob

Collapse -
Still not working :(
by The_Iceman13 / September 16, 2008 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Widely discussed.

So I followed your advice and figured out that I am in fact the admin and have ownership of the folders.

I realized that I must have already installed the EA Download Manager in the past since I downloaded the Spore Creature Creator. So I followed the support site instructions and manually uninstalled any signs of the old installation including the registry items. Could I have missed something which is causing a conflict?

Collapse -
And you deleted these folders to try
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2008 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Still not working :(

A new install? If not, why not?

Collapse -
Can`t Install the EA Download Manager
by The_Iceman13 / September 17, 2008 9:58 PM PDT

That`s the whole problem, when I try to install the EADM I get the error messages which I quoted in my first post. There is clearly a conflict somewhere but damned if I (or EA Support, or anyone on any forum anywhere lol) can find it.

Collapse -
"I am in fact the admin and have ownership of the folders."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2008 10:05 PM PDT

So tell me. Did you try creating a new admin capable account, turning off UAC and trying again. Of course you deleted these files and directories ahead of time. Then on your new account same or not?

Remember I may be missing some good information such as firewalls you installed, that version of Norton with protection set to max, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
Yup tried that too
by The_Iceman13 / September 17, 2008 10:12 PM PDT

I did create a new admin user and I even tried installing with all Firewalls off and security settings in Internet explorer set to low. I tried emptying TEMP folders and even tried installing in safe mode.

Collapse -
If it is an access denied problem
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 16, 2008 7:33 AM PDT

then the solution may be to Take Ownership of that folder. How to take ownership.

Did you mean Cache, or chache?

Sounds a bit strange though, that a game doesn't set permissions properly on its own folder(s). In fact it sounds more like a program coding problem to me. In which case it is up to EA to resolve the issue. Perhaps you could ask for a refund?

Couple of other things I don't understand. What is a Pre-Load of Spore? I have heard of the new Spore game, but not that term before.

Also, why does EA Games need a download manager?

Mark

Collapse -
EA Download Manager Install Problem
by The_Iceman13 / September 16, 2008 7:41 AM PDT

Pre-Loading Spore means that you can download the game through the Download Manager before launch and then it activates on launch day.

I don't think it is a problem with the EADM set-up file because I used the same one on my laptop and it installed right away.

Collapse -
Now tell me about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2008 10:18 PM PDT

"CachePath" in the registry. What owners are shown for this key?

Collapse -
Owners?
by The_Iceman13 / September 18, 2008 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Now tell me about

I`m not sure what you mean by owners. However the only information I have is in my first post. That is the exact error message, copied and pasted.

Collapse -
Yup. Owners.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Owners?

Even a registry key has owners, permissions and more.

You are sadly going to go deeper than what most "owners" would expect to do if you want to fix this yourself. Let's be very clear that it's a bug that EA should address. I did not write their application but know to check file permissions, ask about "Norton" and more. At this point you've almost convinced me it's not Norton, other protection software or file permissions. Now we begin to look at the registry settings.

-> Did anyone every run a registry cleaner? I can't count how many times.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes I did run cleaners
by The_Iceman13 / September 18, 2008 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup. Owners.

After I started having the issue I ran both the Eusing Cleaner and CCleaner but it didn't help.

Collapse -
E-Mail from EA support
by The_Iceman13 / September 18, 2008 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes I did run cleaners

This is the latest advice they sent me:

"If you have any other applications that may prevent your registry from being edited, you will need to disable them before installing the EADM."

Ok what applications might these be?

Collapse -
Norton, Mcafee, Spybot, too many others.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: E-Mail from EA support

You have to share details.

Collapse -
I've even tried attrib -R
by SFjavapup / September 19, 2008 7:13 AM PDT

Hello - I am having the exact same problem with EADM. I even tried using attrib -R to make sure the files weren't read only. The EADM worked perfectly on my laptop (IBM ThinkPad T40) that doesn't have graphics that are powerful enough. But when I tried to do it on my desktop, which has a compatible graphics card, I get the EADM nonsense. Please help if possible!!!

Collapse -
Remember this is NTFS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 10:17 AM PDT

With NTFS we have more attributes that what ATTRIB can handle.

Look up CACLS for an example of what you need to explore.

Collapse -
grrrrrr frustrating!
by The_Iceman13 / September 22, 2008 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Remember this is NTFS.

Still not working, there must be something I'm missing here.

Collapse -
The story is incomplete as well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2008 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: grrrrrr frustrating!

But let's skip all this. The product that has the issue appears not ready for prime time. It's not you or your machine. Why would anyone expect an owner to become fluent with NTFS permissions, owners and more? While I might expect this after a few years of dealing with PC issues we need software and as OS to be as easy as making toast or clear instructions. Sadly we are not there yet.

Bad to the story. Too often I find the machine with the issue to have some protection software like Norton or other. The list is far too long so I can't list all that I've encountered. Also it could be some install of XP that has been running for years with who know what has been done to it. The software may be expecting what you would find in a pristine install.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for all the help
by The_Iceman13 / September 22, 2008 10:51 PM PDT

Well I decided to give up on my desktop installation and just play Spore off of my Laptop (which isn't ideal).

I appreciate all the help and effort, but at least I can play the game somewhere. There are too many variables with PC's and any little problem can cause so many complications.

thanks again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.