Speakeasy forum

E15 Gasoline. Be careful out there.

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2014 2:35 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: E15 Gasoline. Be careful out there.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: E15 Gasoline. Be careful out there.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What about
by TONI H / September 24, 2014 2:42 AM PDT

the ramifications to our older lawn mowers and generators that are still working just fine? Or other farm equipment that run on gas rather than diesel?

Collapse -
All the outlets appear to have the old stuff too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2014 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: What about
Collapse -
add some oil
by James Denison / September 24, 2014 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: What about

some dish detergent, and shake.

Collapse -
How are they going to differenciate that?
by Diana Forum moderator / September 24, 2014 2:47 AM PDT

Will they have one pump for 2001 cars and up and another for 2000 and below cars?

Collapse -
I've said it before
by TONI H / September 24, 2014 2:57 AM PDT

This is all the agenda, just as Cash for Clunkers was, to be rid of all vehicles on the road that don't comply with that agenda's desires and demands. It doesn't matter that it will lower the already mandated MPG in vehicles....because the ultimate goal is to have nothing but newer vehicles on the road and no longer sold on car lots (most times, old used vehicles is all people can afford to buy) with higher and higher mandates on the now NEW MPG mandates that he plans to have imposed by 2015-2017 of 50 MPG because the 35 or 40 MPG that's in place right now isn't good enough yet..........just as the emissions from coal plants and refineries already at over 90% clean isn't good enough either.

There won't be a differential, Diana....if the new stuff kills your car, too bad....buy (go into debt if you are able to) a newer $30,000 car on this part time job because you need it desperately to GET to that job now that your wonderful government has killed what you had that worked.

Collapse -
From the Car Lady's report:
by drpruner / September 24, 2014 10:45 AM PDT

'There's a lot of money in [the situation]... consumers are going to be hurt.'
'EPA says it's impossible to do years of testing [for possible side effects] in months', yet consumers have done just that!
And of course there are the farm subsidies on corn-growing to muddy the waters.
Anyway, very informative. Thanks for the post.
I should have known about the separation. So-called gas tank cleaners are simply a form of alcohol. Since it's also a petroleum product it will burn in the cylinders. Since it's shape is similar to water (both somewhat polar), and since water goes to the bottom of the tank, it mixes (I think it's called miscibility) with the water and takes it up to the cylinders to burn. This is the same situation, but with (it seems) a more corrosive alcohol in a larger amount, and repeated every fill-up.
BTW ethanol is the drinkable one. Remember the line from White Cargo? The Doc pours whisky on the native's leg to disinfect a wound. When the man cries out, the Doc says, "Hurts, doesn't it? Imagine what it does to the lining of your stomach."

Collapse -
It seems strange...
by Willy / September 24, 2014 11:58 AM PDT

That much of today's typical gas is E10 or 10% ethanol and adding yet 5% more does hard damage. The only fix is more SSteel and better plastic, etc. that can deal with it. Well at least it really keeps the innards clean or hope it does. maybe we need Model-T Fords again than could run on moonshine. he-yahhh -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
my previous old truck from 70's
by James Denison / September 24, 2014 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: It seems strange...

When I still had it I swapped my rubber fuel hoses for thick walled clear vinyl ones because the ethanol was causing the interior of the rubber to degrade and clog the fuel line or filter a few times. Since the lead was gone I used a cheap trick to increase "octane" by adding a cup of detergent oil to gas tank at each fillup. It helped keep "ping" away. The truck was pre catalytic convertor so I was able to do that.

Collapse -
The real fix
by Willy / September 24, 2014 6:23 PM PDT

Weren't older vehicles able to re[lace heads with new seats for the vales suppose to help sort all that out. It could take the added heat and reduce clogging and thus take the new gas. I realize the ethanol goes way further in corrosive breakdowns, but ti attacks the entire fuel system. I think many earlier fuel pumps were victims of this because of the rubber diaphragm in mechanical pumps. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I did replace a couple fuel pumps
by James Denison / September 25, 2014 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: The real fix

However the oil "fix" worked reasonably well to smooth the engine out, get rid of "ping".

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?