Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

E-PCI slot bad?

by blkbeltolson / May 15, 2010 10:46 PM PDT

Hello, I'm stuck and this is my last resort before I buy a new motherboard as a last attempt to fix the problem.

I have been running a EVGA Geforce 8800 for years now, with some crashes now and then. Recently the computer has gone into a few weird start ups where it would continuously restart over and over after a few seconds. I figured a hardware problem. Eventually, after disconnecting the power and restarting it would come back up. One day I started it, I heard the normal beep, and it just hung. No signal on the monitor, and the hard drive light wasn't flashing and it wasnt booting up. I shut it off and turned it on like usual, but nothing happened. The fan was still spinning on the video card so I figured it was still getting power. Finally just for ***** and giggles, I decided to hook up the monitor to the on board video. I started the computer and everything loaded up perfectly using the on board video. At this point I figured the video card took a crap, or the power supply was faulty to the video card. I planned on getting another video card anyway, so I went and bought a newer card put it in and FAILED to start, same as with the old geforce card. So, now I'm thinking power supply. I had another power supply standing by, so I put that in and STILL a blank screen when using any video card, no signal to the monitor, but everything works fine with the onboard video. The geforce card doesn't show up in the device manager either. So I'm thinking maybe something when bad in the E-PCI slot? Any Other Idea's? I did check the bios to make sure it was set for the epci slot and not onboard video, and it is supposed to run the epci slot first.

Windows XP professional
Asus M2NPV-VM
AMD 6000+ Dual core processor
2 Gig of Memory
EVGA Geforce 8800 GTX

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: E-PCI slot bad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: E-PCI slot bad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is that other thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: E-PCI slot bad?

Given how hard it is today to install XP with proper BIOS and more importantly MOTHERBOARD DRIVER PACKAGES along with folk that continue to dismiss how important a monster power supply can be, I'm left to wonder if those areas were discussed. Also I'm finding failing, CRANKY Nvidia 8x00 cards out there. Pop in a new GT 220 to 250 and the machine problems go away. But how would a home builder do that?
Bob

Collapse -
tried that
by blkbeltolson / May 16, 2010 2:14 AM PDT

I already tried a brand new video card, it was a newer PNY Geforce with I gig of memory. I actually took two power connectors, and it still didn't work. Definitely a better card then I had and a brand new one at that.

Collapse -
If we dismiss power supplies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: tried that

The motherboard is next.

Collapse -
r proffitt
by blkbeltolson / May 16, 2010 10:00 PM PDT

Looks like the MB is next.

Collapse -
OR BIOS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: r proffitt

It's always something. A few times I found an "overclocker" or "tweaker" that just couldn't stay out of the BIOS settings. Here's what I've learned over the years. 98% of the time the BIOS settings work. Remember that in reality this is likely to be 99.99% of the time but I only see problem machines so my percentage is slightly lower.

This is my lesson. Try the default and "safe" BIOS settings then re-test. While some one is testing, take the board make, model, revision and what BIOS version is in that along with the video card make, model and the video card's firmware version (yes, video cards have firmware too) and research if either have updates.
Bob

Collapse -
(2) power supplies
by Brechan / May 16, 2010 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: tried that

What are the model names and wattages of your (2) power supplies? You stated earlier that you suspected it may have been the PSU; so you popped in another, but did not state the size of either...could be that either/ both are too small (on power)/ too old to power either video cards. Also; cheap-generic PSU's often don't have what it takes to power newer cards, and they tend to crap out earlier than name-brand PSU's.

Collapse -
power supplys
by blkbeltolson / May 16, 2010 9:59 PM PDT
In reply to: (2) power supplies

My current power supply is a Spire 750 watt, and the one I bought was a Corsair 750. So saying its not the power supply, any other suggestion?

Collapse -
As per Bob's suggestion
by Brechan / May 17, 2010 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: power supplys

time to look at the motherboard next

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.