Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

e mails with possible virus attachments

by tolanimk / March 18, 2004 6:13 PM PST

Dear Sir/ Madam,

First let me express my sincere thanks & gratefulness to this site & the dedicated people manning it for solving so many of earlier problems.

I have one more now :

Lately I have started receiving e mails with attachments ( I am using windows millenium ,outlook express in a pentium 3 pc ) which read like this - one example of which is below :

From - wseavey@mediaone.net

To - tolanimk@emirates.net.ae

subject - EIM removed the virus (es) from this message, it is safe to check message/ attachment(s):Re:Hi

message - please have a look at the attached file.

It is noteworthy that the sender of the all these e mails are totally unknown to me & I feel reasonably certain that it is a trick to lure me to open the attachment & to get infected with the virus which is probably very much there still !!!

I have not opened any of these attachments but these e mails are already there in my pc through outlook express. what to do now ? How I can get rid of these e mails with a possible virus from my pc safely ? Is deleting these enough ? what precautions should I take further to get rid of this nuisance & potential danger ?

Thanking you,

M.K.Tolani

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: e mails with possible virus attachments
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: e mails with possible virus attachments
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:e mails with possible virus attachments
by Tufenuf / March 18, 2004 7:39 PM PST

M.K.Tolani, Just delete those messages and DO NOT open the attachments and you'll be OK.

Larry

Collapse -
Re:Re:e mails with possible virus attachments-------but another problem crops up
by tolanimk / March 20, 2004 7:17 PM PST

thanks for your reply . I have deleted those messages without opening .

But I am finding that most of my outgoing mails from outlook express are getting loaded with a srange attachment ( noticed on arrival at the addresse end )& the attachment reads something like this -" BlankBkgrd.gif (204 bytes) " . I have run it through the mac a fee virus scan on the hotmail site & it says - no virus found . what is it then ? & what to do about it ?

M.K. Tolani

Collapse -
Re:e mails with possible virus attachments
by Cursorcowboy / March 18, 2004 8:05 PM PST

1. IMHO, EVERY user of OE should clear the box "Show preview pane" (View, Layout, Preview Pane) which requires that a receive e-mail be double-clicked to open. "Show all files" by placing a dot in the radio button (Explorer/My Computer, View, Folder Options, View). If a check mark exist in the box "Hide file extension for known file types", remove it. Afterwards, click the box "Like Current Folder", click Apply, and then click OK.

2. The article [Q291387] describes the features in OE version 6 that is designed to protect you against viruses that may be transmitted through e-mail messages.

a. The IE Security zones enable you to choose whether active content, such as ActiveX Controls and scripts, can be run from inside OE HTML e-mail messages.

b. Configure OE to read all e-mail in plain text format even though some HTML e-mail may not appear correctly, but no active content is run.

c. If the default option is set for Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus however, you may not receive potentially valid attachments, [Q329570].

3. Supplemental reading: "Troubleshooter: Sending and Receiving E-Mail Messages in ??."

Collapse -
Do Not Open Any Attachment From Anyone Including Friends
by pfeffer3 / March 18, 2004 9:34 PM PST

There are viruses that can invade a friends computer and automatically start sending out emails with virus infected attachments without your friends knowing.

Simply delete email.

Install antivirus software that automatically loads new virus code onto your computer, and install firewall software.

I use Symatec Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Norton 2004 Firewall, but you may want to make a different choice.

Collapse -
M.K., It's Probably the 'Netsky' Virus
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 18, 2004 11:58 PM PST

There are a number of variants but the versions below come the closest to your description. (Probably "N" or "O") Read the articles and look to the sections which describe the "subject" line, the "Message" body and the "attachment" name.:

W32.Netsky.K@mm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.k@mm.html

W32.Netsky.N@mm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.n@mm.html

W32.Netsky.O@mm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.o@mm.html

In Outlook Express, remember to delete the messages TWICE. Once from the "Inbox", then again from the "Deleted Items" folder.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.