Windows 7 forum

General discussion

E-Mail in Windows 7

by peggylenox / November 20, 2010 6:13 AM PST

I've been setting up my husband's new Dell Inspiron desktop with Windows 7. Problem has been with e-mail. I downloaded WIndows Live Mail and put in his verizon e-mail address. I sent a test message which he received. However none of his e-mail is showing up on this computer altho it does on his old XP still in operation. What am I doing wrong? Seems like it should be receiving e-mail too.Why shouldn't the e-mail come directly here -- I've set it to hold e-mail on the server.
I must say, it's been pretty daunting so far as it's very different from Outlook Express.

Dear husband doesn't like change! So, I'm trying to set it up to be user friendly for him. Thanks for any help. Peggy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: E-Mail in Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: E-Mail in Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: WLM
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: E-Mail in Windows 7

When I migrated a friends mail to Windows 7, the first thing I did was downloading and installing Windows Live Mail.

But I needed only half an hour to be convinced this was a serious error. My friend was much happier with Thunderbird. And so will your husband be, I suppose.
Go to http://www.mozillamessaging.com and see for yourself.

If you can't get older e-mails from the server, it's quite well possible to migrate (import) the full archive from Outlook Express using just a USB-stick as intermediate device. I could even export and import her addressbook (via a .csv-file as intermediate storage).

Kees

Collapse -
Mozilla
by peggylenox / November 21, 2010 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: Re: WLM

I did as you kindly suggested and downloaded Mozilla. It does seem much easier. I was able to set up my husband's Verizon account. I sent myself a message and answered it. Both appeared on Mozilla. HOWEVER, he isn't receiving any of his other messages on the new computer, only on the old one. Is there something I need to do? Can't figure it out!

thanks, Peggy

Collapse -
This sounds like
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2010 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: E-Mail in Windows 7

There are more than one E-mail accounts to go get email from.
Bob

Collapse -
Sounds like???
by peggylenox / November 21, 2010 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: This sounds like

Don't quite understand! My husband's email, as mine, is on Verizon. It was my understanding that setting up Mozilla would enable one to get email from any account. When I sent him an email, he received it on the new computer with Mozilla as well as on his old one with OE. I receive email on my regular computer and my netbook.

So the question is why is his other email not appearing on the new Mozilla account? Is there some setting that I'm missing? It seems to me that it shouldn't be so difficult to set up email on Windows 7. Grrrr! Peggy

Collapse -
what is "his other email"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2010 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds like???

If this is the old emails, we have more work to do.
Bob

Collapse -
his other email
by peggylenox / November 21, 2010 5:18 AM PST

What I meant was the email he is currently receiving on his old computer. The only mail that has gone to both computers is what I sent. I thought that by checking "leave copy of message on server" it would let it go to both computers. That's what I do with my desktop and netbook so I always have it in both places.I know that his old messages, received before I set up Mozilla last night will have to be transferred differently.

Does that make sense? Peggy

Collapse -
Is "save a copy ..." set on his old machine as well?
by peacox / November 21, 2010 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: his other email

If not, then they will be deleted after down load if that PC is first to receive the mail but kept if the new machine is first to receive.
When you sent the test message, the old machine was probably not told to do a receive cycle so the message was received by the new machine, and then later by the old machine.
The old machine is also probably set to send and receive at start up so the old messages are no longer on the server unless it has been set to save messages for some time.

HTH

Collapse -
save a copy
by peggylenox / November 22, 2010 1:50 AM PST

Well, it would seem that I'm losing my marbles! I was SURE that I had checked save a copy on all machines. However, when I checked, indeed it wasn't on his old computer. Once I did that, it seems to be working. Now all I have to do is get him acquainted with the changes from Outlook Express.

HOORAY! Thanks so much for all the help.

best, Peggy

Collapse -
Transfer addresses
by peggylenox / November 22, 2010 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: save a copy

Things are going well! Finally! I was able to put his addresses on a USB stick but now don't know how to get them into his e-mail account on the new computer.

As always, help appreciated.

Thanks, Peggy

Collapse -
In outlook express on the File menu
by peacox / November 22, 2010 9:30 AM PST
In reply to: Transfer addresses

select Export-> address book on the new window choose Text File [Comma Seperated Values] CSV. Choose to save the file on a memory stick and give it a name like addrs.csv. When finished saving, switch the stick to the new machine, open live mail and select Contacts from the list in lower left of the window. In the Windows Live Contacts window on the file menu select Import -> Comma Seperated Values(.csv) Browse to the file on the memory stick and select it, click OK or whatever to move on then Next to do the Import.
HTH

Collapse -
address book
by peggylenox / November 22, 2010 6:13 PM PST

I was able to export the addresses into Thunderbird, but so far they aren't very functionable. IT is only a list of emails -- when you click one one it lists the person's name as his first name and the e-mail address as his last. Does that make sense? I can't seem to make any of the addresses come up automatically when writing an e-mail as they did before, like typing peggy
would bring up my whole address. Is there a secret to this?
thanks, p

Collapse -
Long story cut short
by peacox / November 23, 2010 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: address book

When vista was launched, it came with Windows Mail which was developed from Outlook Express and showed a lot of similarity in it's settings and operation. One of the useful features of OE was the Autocomplete while typing of addresses, but in modifying it to fit with Windows Mail, it became difficult to edit and maintain the list of addresses which would autocomplete, they no longer used the contact list to complete the email address but used instead a list of email addresses kept in the registry.
When Windows Live Mail was developed from Windows Mail the whole idea of autocomplete seems to have been dropped.
The recommended method of using the contact list to address mail so as to avoid typing errors is to click on the word TO in a new mail window which causes the address book to open, you then search for or browse for the contact name and select it, click on TO or CC or BCC which ever is applicable and then OK.
The selected email address is transfered to the new message in the box chosen.
I'm not familiar with Thunderbird as I dont use it, but maybe someone who does will offer an answer.
HTH

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.