Speakeasy forum

General discussion

E-mail Attachments?

by Rolway / March 19, 2004 6:09 AM PST

Has anyone been getting e-mail attachments (paperclip) from Finland? (Helsinki) Got 4 in the last couple of days.

I have never received this type before, never have gone on a site that might warrant it and its one of my e-mail addresses that is very carefully and seldom given out....Strange.

Just curious if anyone else is getting the helsinki treats. Don't know whats in there, cause I will not open, peek or shake it. It gets deleted.

BE CAREFULL:
Because, one of these deleted e-mails bounced back stating, "the original message was received" "could not be delivered for a number of reasons" "verify the recipients address and try again later and gives you an Alternative e-mail address".. Sure Pal...WHAT original message? I never replied to any message, I had deleted the original.

This e-mail with no attachment, I did open, thinking it was from some other e-mail address I had sent to, and bounced back. Since it was from "Mail Delivery Subsystem" and the header was in English. After reading it, I though oh, oh, (Watch out for anything ending in .fi) or (city.fi)

George

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: E-mail Attachments?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: E-mail Attachments?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No, but....
by Angeline Booher / March 19, 2004 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: E-mail Attachments?

No, I haven't, but thanks for the heads up.

Not from Helsinmki, that is.

But therre was one from Australia.

MY ISP has a great spam filter, but there is a mortgage company that uses real-sounding names and logical subject lines.- and no attachments. The ad is inserted into the body of the letter.

I know because when I got the first one I looked in properties. The first one was from Australia. I just delete the others as they come in because I recognize their tactics.

I did forward 2 of them to my ISP abuse center.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re:E-mail Attachments?
by John Robie / March 19, 2004 7:19 AM PST

Hi George,

I do not even look at any email from someone I do not recognize or ever open any type of email attachment. They immediately go to the 'bin' and then empty the bin.
That includes the frequent emails from my sister-in-law with her constant "Forward" that come in as an attachment from AOL to my non AOL.

I thought everyone learned their lesson about opening email attachment with the famous "Love Bug" of May, 2000. Wink

Collapse -
Re:Re:E-mail Attachments?
by Rolway / March 19, 2004 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: Re:E-mail Attachments?

You are right John. Even if you get just a plain e-mail (No Attachment) look it over pretty good. These people are getting pretty sharp out there. I do not know what their game was here, but it was a weird one.
I did'nt get hurt by it and did not expect to, because all previous e-mails with attachments were deleted and the so called bounced back e-mail message that came later was clean.

There never was an e-mail sent by me to begin with. They made it appear that way wanting you to respond. The big bang was waiting, I guess.

Just wanted to alert the folks, watch out for Finland.

George

Collapse -
Re: E-mail Attachments? -- Probably a virus/worm
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 19, 2004 9:22 AM PST

Hi, George.

One of th more recent worms (mydoom?) frequently spreads itself as an attachment to an "unable to deliver" notice for a message you never sent in the first place. Remember what curiosity did to the cat, and delete the message, attachment and all!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re:Re: E-mail Attachments? -- Probably a virus/worm
by Rolway / March 19, 2004 9:49 AM PST

Hi Dave

Sure will Dave. So far, and I hope I'm not eating my words, I have never had a virus/worm. I'm begining to feel left out sometimes.

George

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.