Question

E-mail Attachment Inspiron 1545

Hello,

I have an Inspiron 1545 and have a problem whenever I send attachments through e-mails. When I am sending multiple attachments in one e-mail, the Attach file dialog box never opens at the file from where I opened the previous document. I have to continually direct the dialog box back to that folder, where my other, older Inspiron model will always open at folder where I was previously. Any ideas as to how I can configure the Attach file dialog box?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: E-mail Attachment Inspiron 1545
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: E-mail Attachment Inspiron 1545
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which application?

What application are you using to manage your emails?

There 'may' be an option in Tools > Options to set the default location, but on my own Thunderbird email software I can't see that option.

So, if not, the application may be remembering the 'last opened location', and there is not much you can do about that. My Thunderbird always opens to my Desktop location, so I always place the files I want to attach onto the Desktop. That way I don't have to browse elsewhere.

The alternative is a workaround. Using Windows Explorer, (I assume you are using a Windows OS), navigate to the folder you want the dialog to 'always go to'. Right click that folder then select "Send to.. Desktop (Create Shortcut)".

Now, navigate to the folder that your application 'always opens', and drag that newly created shortcut into that folder.

The next time you open that dialog you will see this shortcut, and you can simply click, (or double click), it to be taken straight to the folder you want.

Hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
Response

Hello Mark,

Sorry for taking so long to respond. The program is Yahoo Mail. Regarding the suggestion, would that work whenever the user goes to a certain folder? If I am attaching files from different folders, is there a specific setting that could direct either Explorer or Yahoo Mail to go to the most recent folder? Thank you.

Louis

- Collapse -
Yahoo Mail

Yahoo Mail is normally web-based, so I assume you are using your internet browser to manage your emails, and not some email client software like Outlook Express, or Outlook, or Thunderbird, or similar.

I don't think that matters though.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Windows Explorer just opens to whatever it opens to. There is as way to set it to open to a specific location, but in your case you say that you have files in different folders, so even if you were able to open Windows Explorer to a specific folder or location, you would still have to navigate to the other folders. So I am not clear what that would achieve;.

When you click the Attachment option in Yahoo Mail, then whatever location it opens to is the one it opens to. I don't know how to change that, (default), location. But having shortcuts to your other folders in that dialog window will help you navigate quicker to those locations.. That is what Windows Explorer will be used for, simply to 'set up' those shortcuts, so that when you use Yahoo Mail, they are there ready for you.

May be another workaround is this. If you know what files you will be sending, then copy them all to somewhere that is easy for you to access, before using Yahoo Mail, so that they are all in the same place when you want to attach them.

Mark

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: inspiron 1545

That's not dependent on the Dell Model number.

But it might depend on (a) the OS (which Windows or Linux) and (b) the (version of) the program you use to attach that file. Alas, you don't tell those for the older models, nor for the current model. Can you tell it?

Kees

CNET Forums