General discussion


I am running WinXPPro, Firefox, using OE for my mail program. about a week, maybe a week and a half ago, all of a sudden, I started having mail returned by my mail server, (Globespeed). This is happening with many different addresses in my address book. The header says, (returned by Globespeed), the footer gives a message of (mail server returned ERRBIT). My IP's tech support tells me that there is something wrong with my computer, but they don't know what. Any input, or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked

Reply to: E-mail
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: E-mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Is it occuring with all outgoing email?
- Collapse -

No, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to who or what gets bounced, but the ERRBITT message only comes from AOL. Any of the other messages that are bounced have varying messages, the most common one being, (user not found). I have spent days researching the cause of this with my server, AOL, the other servers, and no one seems to have an answer. Just today, I have signed up with another IP, and will see if the problem continues.

- Collapse -
It's been my experience that...

AOL has been a cause of many problems from spyware and trojans to not even recognizing their own software. And even blaming manufacturers and other vendors for their own bloopers.

Getting rid of AOL seemed to have solved many problems for me. And it wasn't execlty easy getting rid of everything AOL. It was almost as if my computer and I were enslaved by AOL.

Good luck with your new ISP (no doubt you'll be better-off)

It may help to know the other error codes you're getting. "User not found" could simply be an error in user/server settings.

- Collapse -

Well, I have changed IP's and so far not a problem one. I think, at this point in time that I can pretty well rule my old IP's tech support answer, "you have a problem with your computer". Will post again in a few days. Thanks for the input.

- Collapse -

Well, I signed up with netscape, had no problems with OE, but Netscapes mail program was a disaster. Could not forward to more than one address at a time. Their "true search" program did not work. after spending countless hours on hold with their so called "tech support", I cancelled their service. I had not cancelled my current IP, (globespeed) whose response to my problem was, "there is something wrong with your computer". After cancelling Netscape, and removing everything to do with them. I called my IP (globespeed). They still told me that my computer was at fault. But, I find it ironic that in the intervening time between using them, and attempting to use Netscape, all of a sudden, I no longer have the problem. I don't suppose that I will ever find out what the problem really was.

CNET Forums

Forum Info