Computer Help forum

General discussion

E-Machines T3104 Boot Problems and more

This machine is a E-Machines T-3104 running Windows XP Home.

Ok a few weeks ago when i booted up my machine, Windows never started, all I got was the black screen and a message that said "Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk" Ok nothing out of the ordinary had be performed on the computer. There was a blank CD-R in the drive but I highly doubt that had anything to do with it.

Well I went into the BIOs and changed the machine to boot from Hard drive first and then the CD Rom Drive and the machine booted into Windows just fine. Then a couple days later I booted up the computer to install a couple of games and the computer froze on the Windows load screen, I turned it off and back on and it booted fine.

Well a few more days and computer was turned on again and worked like normal, then the next morning the Same "Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk" error happened again, so then I tried changing the computer to boot from the CD Rom first and still would not start, then went back to the Hard drive first and nothing. When i was in the Bios I noticed that the CD-Rom and Hard drives were not showing up as installed on the Bios Screen.

I thought I would check out the inside of the machien to make sure there were no loose cables, they were all on, but I thought I would try something else. So I took out the little jumper plug on the HD that designates if it is the Master or Slave drive. I went into the Bios and both the CD Rom and HD were showing up as installed now, only the HD was designated as slave, but it was working so I left it. The CD Rom and HD are on different connectors, they do not share the same "Ribbon" Connector. I saved and quit and started up the Computer and it booted up to Windows normally and was working like normal.
The computer was off for almost a week and then booted back up again and it has been working fine for a couple days now no problems.

I asked some people about this before and they said it sounds like what I did will probably only be a temporary fix, and eventually the HD, Power supply or even motherboard could go bad. Do you know of anything like this that spells certain doom for the computer or parts of it. I just want to make sure the comp needs to be replaced before i replace it. So any help is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: E-Machines T3104 Boot Problems and more
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: E-Machines T3104 Boot Problems and more
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Help?

In reply to: E-Machines T3104 Boot Problems and more

Can anyone help with this problem?

Collapse -
Remember the BAD CAPS issue?

See google on that but "There was a blank CD-R in the drive but I highly doubt that had anything to do with it." is worrisome. No one teaches computer end user science or how things work so why would one dismiss this?

If the machine is booting then its given you a chance to backup what you can't lose one more time. Let's try this. ARE YOU READY FOR THE TOTAL MELTDOWN OF THIS MACHINE?
Bob

Collapse -
I was afraid of that.

In reply to: Remember the BAD CAPS issue?

Well crap, I was hoping I had some bad info haha. So it probably will crash soon then? I have a new one I am looking at buying, but I wanted to be sure that I needed to dump the old one.

Collapse -
I think the backup is the next step before...

In reply to: I was afraid of that.

We do anything to the machine. Once that's done and we are ready type GRUNGY PC into google and do that cleanup. When it's clean a common PC malady is the "connectors." I'll unplug, remove and reinsert all cards, memory sticks and give the cables a little push. I can't count how many times the cleaning and connections work has helped.

But I never do that until I'm ready for a melt down.
Bob

Collapse -
Backup ASAP

The removal of the master/slave jumper if only one HD, made it CS cabled. For whatever reason, it booted. The fact remains it didn't one time, backup now. The HD if orginal to the system probably got overheated or there wasn't enough "phuuuf" to get it going. It maybe starting to corrupt, so again, backup. get a replacement ASAP. Robert, mentioned a possible "bad caps", google for a picture to inspect your innards.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Caps look fine

In reply to: Backup ASAP

I checked the caps according to the Bad Caps site and they all look fine. I did forget to mention that before when it wouldn't load windows and was stuck on the DISK BOOT FAILURE...etc The computer was beeping, and the beeping wouldn't stop until I turned it off. Does that change anything? I had also just cleaned out the inside of the tower a few weeks ago.

Collapse -
BIOS beep code, find your error status

In reply to: Caps look fine

When the beeping occurs it usually does in some pattern, long &short sequence, thus directs you to the source of the error. Find the maker of your bios and check/google for such. Also, the system maker and/or mtrbd. support websites make give a clue.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
RE: "I had also just cleaned out ...

In reply to: Caps look fine

the inside of the tower a few weeks ago"

It is possible that you caused ribbon cables to get a little loose at either the motherboard end or at the device end (hard drive, CD-Rom, etc.) and the mention of b eeping might also indicate some RAM modules that are not as firmly seated as they should be.

E-Machines are also noted for markedly inferior power supplies.

Depending on the specific hard drive, removing the jumper might well be the slave setting but would seldom be the setting for cable select but as long as the drive is bootable it doesn't really matter whether it is a slave or master as far as the computer is concerned as it is still likely set as the first boot device. It does make it a possibility that the problem stemmed from a faulty ribbon cable or connection or even a faulty molex power connector as those tend to get pressure applied while working on the interior components.

It appears that it is working all right for now though so I concur with the recomendations to ensure you have all your data backed up FIRST, then I would start checking all the internal connections and seriously consider replacing the power supply.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.