Question

E Machines - Not finding the hard drive

I repair computers for senior citizens - no charge - but I get a lot of home-made sweets!
Once in a while someone donates a unit - I get it running and pass it on to someone in need.
I have an E Machines T3882, running XP. I got it thru a 3rd party so I cannot contact the orginal owner. I was told the unit had a "virus". Rather then check for myself (an error) I turned it on, loaded Malwarebytes from CD and ran a full scan. Somewhere during the process, it hung up and I found the hour glass and nothing happening. I powered down and rebooted - it never booted up again. I get the big "E" logo - and several minutes later a message saying no hard drive was found.
Any ideas?
HkBob

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: E Machines - Not finding the hard drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: E Machines - Not finding the hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Did you try the usual?

New cable or drive?

- Collapse -
E Machines - Not finding the hard drive

I re-seated all the power connections and the ribbon connections. I wondered whether running the Malwarebytes triggered something. As I mentioned I know none of the history - only that the previous owner replaced it due to a "virus". I have heard a lot about E Machines power supplies being suspect - but would the logo screen come on if the power supply was bad?
HkBob

- Collapse -
HDDs do fail.

And on the rare occasion I've had IDE ports fail. So I swap the cable then HDD and hope it's never the IDE port.
Bob

CNET Forums