Computer Help forum

General discussion

e-machine sometimes freezes on shutdown OS is XP

by janice / October 23, 2007 1:14 PM PDT

my monitor goes blank but the PC is still on. The only way I have found to shut it down is to hold the blue power button in. I Did not get and cannot find a manual. I will use the troubleshooter later but need to find the best way to shutdown until I have time. ZA may be the problem as it was "not responding"

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: e-machine sometimes freezes on shutdown OS is XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: e-machine sometimes freezes on shutdown OS is XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd Start With This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 24, 2007 3:43 AM PDT

Your question isn't perfectly clear but if you've got a monitor problem, try borrowing a known "good" monitor from a friend or family member and see if the problem continues. If not, then you know it's the monitor.

If a replacement monitor isn't the problem, then "Shutdown" issues are normally a problem with unneeded programs or services that are running in the background. Please click on the link and follow ALL the procedures mentioned:

Cleanup Steps

Another good option would be to visit the eMachines site and see if there are new, updated drivers for the hardware on your machine..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I will try to find the cause of the problem when I have time
by janice / October 24, 2007 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd Start With This...

Right now I was looking for a quick fix, a 2nd button that I could use to reboot when this happened instead of completely turning the PC off. My old gateway had one. it's not the monitor. Thanks for the suggestions

Collapse -
Question
by PKsteven / October 24, 2007 2:12 PM PDT

If the monitor is blank, and PC hung on shut down, how do you know what's responding or not? Just wondering. Also, you may have an incorrect graphical setting so when attempting a shut down, the monitor blanks but the pc hangs instead of shutting down. Have you tried to boot into safe mode and shut down from there? This may point you in a right direction. It may be an application, DK at this point.

Paul

Collapse -
Think it's my HP printer or maybe my CD player
by janice / October 25, 2007 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Question

when I put a CDRW in it or run that printer it seems to happen. I have some time to track it down now but I sure would like to have that reboot button on the old PC! Thanks for your input Jan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!