General discussion

'e drive not accesible' when inserting blank CD's

Greetings,

I am running Windows XP on both my laptop & desktop (both Sony Vaio computers). I am trying to copy a powerpoint presentation via Windows Explorer onto a CD (which worked fine in the past).

Now I can play CD's & burn them as well using Sonicstage (Sony's burning software). But I cannot access the CD drive to burn a document to (when going through 'my computer). In fact, in the past I had a choice from the 'files & folder task' list to 'copy file to cd' & now don't have that option. Furthermore, when I try to copy the file to the CD drive I get the error message in the title of this post.

Very strange problem & it may have started after loading Windows SP2 but not sure. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 'e drive not accesible' when inserting blank CD's
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 'e drive not accesible' when inserting blank CD's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: e drive not accesible when inserting blank CD's

Try the procedures described in the following Names of DVD's in drive wont update message.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Tried the download

Thanks for the advice. I tried the download & it said that it could not find the problem. I installed a blank CD from another brand & it temporarily fixed the problem but then went right back to the error message.

I called Sony Support and they told me I would have to reboot my entire OS & start from scratch!

Any suggestions?

- Collapse -
I would not fix this one.

XP's native CD recording, in my experience is not trustworthy. I'd "go with what works." Your post did note that Sonicstage works fine.

This is NOT an offer to fix XP's CD recording, but if you want to research how it works, look to the next link and pay attention to the IMAPI service whenever its mentioned.

Keep in mind that today's spyware is wrecking havoc out there. If you don't keep it off, you get to experience very odd failures.

XP CD Recording article at -> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

Bob

- Collapse -
How do I save data?

I heard the same thing about XP's native CD recording. But Sonicstage does not save data (MS word & powerpoint) that I have to CD's - only music.

Any other way to save my data to CD? I have no floppy drive on this computer...

- Collapse -
Here's the sofware I use. (and it's free)
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

I was on a Sony machine (not yours) and it had some other Sony application for making Data CDs. I use so many machines and applications that I don't recall its name. However, the above application is free and ... what I use.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info