I have recently been implementing a e-commerce site for a business, and have come across a few e-commerce platforms that might be what you are looking for. I am really new to e-commerce as well, so maybe just take this as a place to start...
1. Magento is an OS e-commerce website that I have themed but have not actually implemented - yet. It has really easy back-end functionality and is really nice looking (although it's not the easiest to design the frontend) It also has a lot of features like cross-selling, and newsletters, etc... you can check that out at www.magentocommerce.com
2. Since it sounds like you have some extra needs like a blog and video, you may also want to check out "drupal" at drupal.org. This is a CMS system that is fairly easy to use, and you can add in e-commerce functionality like zen-cart or ubercart. Although, I can't say I have actually used drupal for e-commerce, designing the site isn't terribly difficult.
Both of these systems are free, however, they also do not have support. You have to go through their online documentation which is sufficient in drupal and lacking in magento. Although Magento doesn't have the documentation they do offer support - at a cost. At the very least it won't cost you anything to check them out!
Hope that helped a little...
So far, almost everything I've read both here and elsewhere on the net has confused me beyond belief. I am a young woman whom is attempting to start her own e-commerce business. I think that I may have found the designer.... but if you have any suggestions, they would be much appreciated.
My main issues are with finding the best and most reliable e-commerce software and a hosting server. At first I was going to go with Storefront.net, but after reading the reviews on here, it seems like too much of a gamble.
For e-commerce software, I need:
- easy to use background software. Where I can change the products myself, view sales, etc. And be able to automatically send emails to my drop-shipper
- able to add a blog and video content
- able to have at least 250 products
- customer reviews for the products
- easily designed software (for my designer)
- add-on merchandise for product selection
- sale and discount codes
- a view all products button (in each category)
For hosting, I don't even know what I really need. Essentially something that is reliable, will not go out of service, can grow as my business does, super duper fast (who doesn't hate shopping at a slow site), etc.
Of course, price is a issue as well, as I am doing this all by myself.
If you can be honest and truly help me, I would be forever grateful. Thank you so much!