Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dynex Mouse

by Pozzie / October 5, 2006 9:29 AM PDT

Hello,
I've been experiencing problems with my good old ps2 mouse: it would double-click
when I clicked once for a single click, selecting everything on a page without me
clicking the buttons, etc. Aww, so much fun, ha ha!

Thinking my mouse had died, this afternoon, I went to the store and spent 20$ on
a wireless optical mouse. I just got home and installed it. I followed the instructions.
I got here using my ps2 mouse... They said in the user's guide that if the installation
is successfull, I'll see a mouse icon next to the clock. I DO! Yay!!

I have win98 and I checked in the control panel/system and it says both mice are installed properly why can't I see the cursor when I try to get the wireless mouse to work?? Why isn't the mouse working? I click the left button and there's a right light on my wall so
it must be working, eh?? I put batteries in, selected the channel, installed the drivers, etc. What should I do about my old mouse?? I unplugged it, re-plugged it
in, ahhh!! What am I doing wrong?

I'm out of resources here!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Sincerely,
banana35

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dynex Mouse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dynex Mouse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you mean...
by Blue_Zee / October 5, 2006 6:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Dynex Mouse

You are trying to run both mice at the same time?

That can't be done, try unplugging the PS2 mouse and restart the PC.

Test.

Zee

Collapse -
Re: Do you mean...
by Pozzie / October 5, 2006 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Do you mean...

Blue_Zee:
Thanks for replying! No no, I'm not trying to run both mice at the same time! All I want is my new mouse to work: like, if I move it on the mousepad, I'll see the cursor (the arrow) moving around and when I'll click on the left button I'll open a folder... Know what I mean??

I'm afraid I did the unthinkable, with my old mouse. I mean, I'm online right now but it took me FOREVER to have my ps2 mouse to work!! It's a pain! Everytime I restart my computer, you can be 900% sure the mouse won't be working. So, for now I'll forget about the wireless optical mouse! I was about to burst into tears. I think I've uninstalled the drivers of my old one.

If you can help, it would be great!
Big Thanks!
banana35

Collapse -
Try this
by Blue_Zee / October 5, 2006 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Do you mean...

Press F8 at startup and select Safe Mode from the menu.

After starting in Safe Mode, go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and delete ALL entries under Mice and pointing devices.

Remove the PS2 mouse, leaving the wireless mouse connected.

Restart, letting Windows install the driver and hopefully solve the problem.

If the above doesn't help you should recheck your connections (USB?) as well as the connectivity between mouse and signal receptor.

See the instructions on how to reset it, that should be on the mouse manual or leaflet.

Hope these may help.

Zee

Collapse -
Re:
by Pozzie / October 6, 2006 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

Zee:
I actually thought of doing that: I did. I did that so I thought I'd be able to check what was wrong you know... And funny thing when I was in safe mode, it was the only time I could see the pointer moving and obeying to my commands... I'm really not sure how to do this the way you suggested. I don't have my win98 cd with me and I'm at loss trying to find the "original drivers" of my ps2 mouse. I know my mouse is a "Logitech" and that there are 2 screws at the end of the cable to plug it in...
Can you help?
Big Thanks!
banana

Collapse -
Please
by Blue_Zee / October 6, 2006 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

Try exactly what I told you, deleting the entries for mice, keeping the wireless plugged in, remove the PS2 mouse and reboot.

You shouldn't need the Windows CD.

Zee

Collapse -
Re: Please
by Pozzie / October 6, 2006 6:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Please

Zee,<BR>

Wow, you're truly amazing when it comes to computer/mouse issues. I really appreciate your help!!!I'm afraid nothing will work. See I tried everything and I didn't get your message til it was too late. I had already gone to the store to give it back.
Oh, I thought my mouse was a ps/2 one but it's not. It's one of those OLD ones that has 2 screws when you plug it you know?? *Sigh*

So yeah, I brought the optical wireless mouse at the store yesterday and well, I bought a cheap mouse ($7) with a mouse adapter. My worst fears of having messed up with the old mouse's drivers (while trying so hard to install the optical wireless one) are VERY REAL, because I managed to get on here, yes but boy I worked my way through here, using the keyboard and hitting all those buttons tab, shift and so on...

Is there a way to find what drivers belong to a specific mouse? Any Idea on how to fix this?
Can I still try what you mentionned or not??

Big big thanks...
banana35

Collapse -
Question
by Blue_Zee / October 6, 2006 6:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Please

Have you tried deleting the mice in Safe Mode and rebooting?

Zee

Collapse -
Re:Question
by Pozzie / October 7, 2006 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Question

No I have not. It is in the device manager?? Want me to do it? My mouse works in safe mode Happy

Collapse -
Yes
by Blue_Zee / October 7, 2006 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Question

Start in Safe Mode and go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and delete all entries under mice and pointing devices.

Leave the mouse you want to use connected and reboot your system letting Windows reinstall the driver and hopefully solve the problem.

Good luck,

Zee

Collapse -
Re: Yes
by Pozzie / October 8, 2006 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Dynex Mouse

Zee:
I did what you said and it helped a lot.... Only for one time though. Now everytime I start the computer my mouse doesn't work. I feel I have to delete every mouse entry in the device manager so I'll let windows find it the next time I'll turn the computer on and it's annoying me..
Is there a way I can ''save'' my actions so I don't have to do it again and again??
Thanks!

Collapse -
Question
by Blue_Zee / October 8, 2006 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Yes

Did you delete the mouse entries in Device Manager after starting in Safe Mode?

How many entries and names did you find?

Zee

Collapse -
Re: Question
by Pozzie / October 8, 2006 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Question

Zee:
I found 3 entries for the mouse, I am not sure what the names were but I do remember names such as:
-Serial Port (COM2)
-Standard Microsoft Mouse,
-SerialM

Now, in the Device Manager, under mouse, when I click on properties, it says:
SerialM (COM2)
1.In the "General" Tab:
Device Type: Mouse
Manufacturer: Logitech
---Device Status:---
This device is working properly

2.In the Driver tab:

Driver File Details:
The drivers are:
C:\Windows\System\LMOUSE.VXD
C:\Windows\System\VMM32.VXD (vmouse.vxd)
C:\Windows\System\LMUL.VXD
C:\Windows\System\LMOUSE.DRV

When I said I was afraid I may have messed up everything with the mouse, I think I was right, because I looked in the "System Information" thingy and they said the original configuration for the mouse was okay from the time I got my computer til Oct 05 @ 23:28:35 2006 <- which is when I was desperately trying to install my wireless mouse... I looked at everything and saved the files as .txt files so if you need any information I'll be able to show you what the "original configuration" was... When the mouse had no problem, when everything was working fine, that is... Maybe you'll be able to help??

I hope I didn't forget to mention anything...

Collapse -
Try
by Blue_Zee / October 8, 2006 5:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Question

again starting in Safe Mode and going to Control Panel > System Device Manager.

How many entries are there for mice?

Write them down and post here, please.

I dn't believe you posted the version of Windows you're running.

Zee

Collapse -
Re: Try
by Pozzie / October 8, 2006 6:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Try

Zee,
I'm using Win98 SE... Okay so, now, there is only one entry and it's ''Serial M''.

in the Device Manager, under mouse, when I click on properties, it says:
SerialM (COM2)
1.In the ''General'' Tab:
Device Type: Mouse
Manufacturer: Logitech
---Device Status:---
This device is working properly

2.In the Driver tab:
Driver File Details:
The drivers are:
C:\Windows\System\LMOUSE.VXD
C:\Windows\System\VMM32.VXD (vmouse.vxd)
C:\Windows\System\LMUL.VXD
C:\Windows\System\LMOUSE.DRV

And when I delete all the mouse entries, in safe mode and I restart it says they're looking for my drivers for my mouse and the one they find is Logitech Serial Mouse, ''First/Pilot (M34, M35, C43) ... ???

Collapse -
If
by Blue_Zee / October 8, 2006 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Try

the mouse doesn't work after the cleanup, I would just buy a new and cheaop PS2 and test it making sure the Serial Mouse was unplugged.

Zee

Collapse -
Re:
by Pozzie / October 9, 2006 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: If

I think the problem comes from the fact that I played with the COM1-COM2 ports by ACCIDENT. The only thing I want is to bring my mouse back to the COM1 port as it was originally, you know??

Collapse -
That is easy
by Blue_Zee / October 9, 2006 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

Unplug the mouse and move it to the other COM port (it will look exactly the same as COM2) but it should be free.

Zee

Collapse -
Re: That is easy
by Pozzie / October 9, 2006 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: That is easy

Zee:
It's not that easy...
Okay, I'll try to explain again:
1. I had trouble with my mouse. My mouse's plug is like this: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/4223/972bb8.th.jpg
2. I bought another mouse, which I had to plug into the USB port:
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7654/usbportimagesbl5.jpg - I tried to make it work. IT DIDNT WORK. Dynex's instruction guide was as big as a deck of card and was 3'' X 3'' on ONE page only. 2 Steps. I had no idea what to do with my other mouse: uninstall? Delete?? I did what I thought I should do, but it wasn't the right thing. Brought the mouse back to the store.
3. I bought a PS/2 wired ball mouse + mouse adapter:
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/875/mouseadapterimagesil9.jpg - since I DO NOT have a port to connect the mouse on my computer otherwise.

4.PROBLEM: NOW, everytime I shut the computer down, I have to do what you said:
-Start in Safe mode;
-Delete all the mice entries in the Device Manager and reboot
-After I reboot, Windows automatically finds the stuff for the mouse and THEN I can use it.

IF I DON'T DO THAT and reboot my computer without doing all that, my pointing arrow remains STUCK in the middle of the screen.

P.S: I only have one place in the back of my computer to plug my mouse (see 1.)

Hope you can help me...
Thanks again for everything...

Collapse -
One more tip
by Blue_Zee / October 9, 2006 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: That is easy

Start > Run > type SFC and press Enter.

Scan your system for corrupted files.

You may need the Windows CD, or point the wizard to the folder containing your CAB files.

Do a search for those CAB files, write down its location, and use it to point the wizard.

Zee

Collapse -
Re: One more tip
by Pozzie / October 9, 2006 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: One more tip

Hey!
I did that and the results came back normal. In the files added part (3rd line) they wrote 1. But that's it. What do I do now??

Collapse -
There
by Blue_Zee / October 9, 2006 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: One more tip

comes a moment when a reinstall is the solution.

But you don't have the Windows CD...

Out of ideas.

Sorry.

Zee

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!