Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dynamic Unreadable, NTFS on Windows XP help!

by alex75000 / September 8, 2006 4:31 AM PDT

I have been able to able my last problem where my computer was always rebooting, but now that this is fixed.

I have ran in yet another problem... a BIG problem.

My 300 GB Maxxtor Hard Drive now lists as Dynamic Unreadable...I am now trying to find a way to recover my files...

I am running a PC Inspector File Recovery Scan and then will be a recovermyfiles Scan.

Was wondering if anyone has other ideas to fix this/get the files.

Thanks for your time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dynamic Unreadable, NTFS on Windows XP help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dynamic Unreadable, NTFS on Windows XP help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows XP can't read that size drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 4:48 AM PDT

XP SP1 and XP SP2 can.

I think we found the problem.

Bob

Collapse -
It is SP2
by alex75000 / September 8, 2006 6:23 AM PDT

Sorry , I have XP SP2, forgot to specify -_-.

Collapse -
So this means you can boot to the Recovery Console.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: It is SP2

And run CHKDSK against it there?

Just so you know, I don't see a need to detail how to get to the Recovery Console with all that google and more. Ok?

Bob

Collapse -
I'll run CHKDISK
by alex75000 / September 8, 2006 11:47 AM PDT

As soon as I find my Windows XP CD and add to this thread what happened to so far.

Thx for your help. Happy

Collapse -
Nothing solved
by alex75000 / September 12, 2006 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll run CHKDISK

CHKDISK doesn't even see the disk...

Weird thing though: on the bios and at the start of the computer:

Primary Master:1st HD
Primary Slave:2nd
Secondary Master:DVD burner
Secondary Slave: DVD Reader

But as soon as my Windows XP SP2 starts, the P.Slave doesn't exist in the explorer and the DVD Reader gives me errors even though there's a disk inside.

I plugged everything like it was before all my problems(noted it on a paper so I wouldn't forget)

and now on the Disk Manager, my 2nd Hard Drive(300GB Maxtor) reads as: Dynamic Unreadable Disk...

Dang! Sad

Collapse -
TRY to Change the battery on the
by ask4anu / September 12, 2006 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Nothing solved

Motherboard and see if that fixes the problem but if that dont i am sorry to say that you will need to use your xp cdrom to boot from making your cd rom frist boot device in the bios and boot from it and SORRY here comes the bad part A you will loose all your files period if you did not back them up THEN SHAME ON YOU but the good news is you can rebuild it maybe if the drive itself has not failed when in your bios look for an exit menu and use the load system defualts then try and reboot and see if it sees it then also if you change the mobo battery then you will also need to use that setting again and also reset time and date in bios
winxp has a repair feature that you may be able to use after you boot from the cd then proceed like you are installing a new os and then choose repair if you have a system restore cd then my freind you got screwed over on an actuall os cd and will have to use restore but frist i would see what is causing your drive to fail if it is the drive itself or other problems if you have owned this pc for a while and never changed the mobo battery this indeed could be the reason for drive failure

Collapse -
Review prior discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2006 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Nothing solved
Collapse -
After all this time, I'VE FOUND A SOLUTION!
by alex75000 / October 5, 2006 5:48 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?