General discussion

Dying Internal Hard Drive?

My old iMac G4 (running OS 10.4) has been running sluggishly with sporadic freezes & "spinning pizzas" for several months. I launched Disk Utility which displayed the following message "SMART: failing".

I attempted to restart the iMac but it would freeze immediately after the "gong". I was, however, able to restart from the install CD. I attempted to run Repair Permissions which froze. I ran Repair Disk which reported that "volume cannot be repaired because of an error".

I restarted from the Disk Warrior CD. The hardware test indicated that "the built-in SMART indicated everything is normal".

Is this all indicative of an internal drive that is behaving unpredictably & about to die?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Dying Internal Hard Drive?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dying Internal Hard Drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Replace

I would suggest backing up (if you don't already) and get a replacement drive pronto. Don't wait because drives often fail quickly without warning, so consider yourself lucky that you're receiving some warning and act on it.

- Collapse -

Unfortunately I cannot boot on the internal drive. However, I did backup last week.

BTW, TechTool Pro's surface scan indicated several bad blocks.

Since I understand that the drive will "map-out" these bad blocks if possible, I will erase & zero-out the internal drive. Then clone the contents of the backup drive onto the internal drive.

It's worth a try. If it fails, I have a great excuse to get a new machine.

- Collapse -
Don't hold out too much hope for that method,

a drive that is failing, and is nice enough to tell you that it has problems, is unlikely to be as kind a second time.

The iMac G4 takes a standard size drive and is easily replaced.

However, a new machine would be even better. Happy

P

- Collapse -
It's toast

It's toast, that drive. SMART failures mean the drive's built-in error testing is saying there's something wrong.

The only problem I see here, is that working on the iMac G4 can be tricky. I'd suggest either paying someone to do it for you, or finding someone who can hold it upside down for you for long periods of time. Otherwise, you can call Apple up and see if they'll sell you the service stand for the iMac G4. It's part number: 076-0898. They may or may not sell it to you, but you can always call them up and ask.

- Collapse -
Doubtful that Apple will sell this
- Collapse -

Replacing the drive would be relatively easy & cheap. I can always figure out a way to jury-rig a service stand. But .....since the machine is relatively slow, has a dated processor, is marginally supported by software developers, & has no sentimental value, I have no reason to throw more $ at a terminal patient.

So ... I ordered a new iMac this morning.

- Collapse -
Way to go!

You will definitely see a speed improvement there. Happy

Enjoy

P

CNET Forums

Forum Info